Solved

wrconsumerservice verification ?

• 29 April 2012
  • 1 reply

WRConsumerService 

WRConsumerService stoped working and was closed - error message that brought me to a Questions forum that suggested that WRConsumerServive was packaged with webroot and other antivirus applictaions ????

The forum suggested that WRConsumerService also has a history of malware programs imitating it to avoid detection ?

therfore what is this Process ? and is it connected to webroot ? - and if so, is   it not prudent to ensure the process is a genuine  part of webroots original instal ?

ie can we have a 'verify install' or 'confirm install' option addeded to webroot scanning ? - lets not have a webroot proces exploited in this mannor thats being reported as such. 

WRconsumerService chat forum 
icon

Best answer by YegorP 1 May 2012, 01:08

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi quest,

Welcome to the Webroot Community. Glad to have you here.

This process is from our older product so it is likely you still have the 2011 version (or older) of Webroot installed on your computer. Depending on whether or not you still have an active Webroot subscription, it's best to remove the older version before you download Webroot SecureAnywhere, which is our new 2012 product. Make sure you have your keycode noted down as you will need to re-enter that  to activate Webroot SecureAnywhere. If you have the 2011 product (the icon is purple with a green keyhole), you can find your keycode by opening Webroot and clicking "my account" on the bottom left corner. If you have SpySweeper, you would click "about my subscription" from the product home screen.

Even if your subscription is expired, however, you'll still want to remove the older version of Webroot as it takes up quite a bit of space and will conflict with the new product. Here is the link for the removal tool. Make sure you create a restore point first as it is an important precautionary step to take before running the tool. After downloading and running the tool using the above link, you'll have to restart the computer to ensure the older product is removed.

After the removal is done, if you still have an active Webroot subscription, click here to download Webroot SecureAnywhere, enter the keycode you wrote down when it prompts you, and click "activate" to complete the install and Webroot will automatically start a scan.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you.