Solved

Identity shield not working?

Just decided to test WSAE. De-installed KeyScrambler for the Identity Shield feature. In order to test whether it's working, I used the Zemana tester that was recommended here. When allowing it in my HIPS, it detects everything. This goes for every application I've manually set to Protect: word-pad, notepad, office, Mozilla... So what's the deal? A bug, or am I doing something wrong?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 10 June 2012, 23:11

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Alanon and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Can you please read this whole thread as it's been discussed before! http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/WSA-Complete-For-The-Family/td-p/712 Also you can read more about Identitiy Shield here: http://www.webrootanywhere.com/sah_Identity_Protection.asp?n=About_Identity_protection

HTH,

TH
Admittedly I'm not sure I've got the low-down on the Shield, but as far as I know, it does encrypt the keys in the kernel, like KeyScrambler, but also eliminates the man-in-the-middle problem? So I went to Internet Explorer (set as Protected), went to Pay Pal. Started the Zemana test, and started typing login credentials in the fields. It didn't work, and the test simply showed what I've been typing. Also, I never got the padlock in the tray icon (probably the known cosmetic issue?). I realise that tests are really not that important, but I simply see no evidence that it's actually protecting me. Is there a way to pass the Zemana test? Is there perhaps a certain way to see if it works? Maybe another kind of test? Sorry for bugging you, but there is a difference in pricing between the WSEAV and WSAE. This Guard is the only reason I would go for Essentials, so I just want to make sure it works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You must have the Lock on the Tray Icon for it to work correctly! Here is a test I did in February: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2014860&postcount=33 And look at the tray Icon in the pictures!

TH
Oh, well then it seems it isn't working for me for whichever reason. Any advice on how to proceed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have you rebooted since installation if not please do? And have a look at my settings in the pictures here: http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere/Confused-by-Identity-Shield-settings/td-p/5850 Also try this link https://www.paypal.com as your testing should be on a HTTPS site!

HTH,

TH
I made sure to reboot after installation. In the meantime, I've rebootet twice more. Mozilla v. 14 and IE are set to Protect, and I don't ever see a lock in the tray. Everything is checked in the  Web Threat Shield. Both HTTPS and HTTP are set to max. As far as I understand, I should see the lock as soon as I zoom a protected apps' window to the foreground, right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have it maybe do a clean reinstall of WSA? Uninstall reboot and install and make sure you have a copy of your key!

TH

EDIT: It will take a bit for pictures to show as they have to be approved by a MOD or ADMIN!

I uninstalled it, rebooted, completed initial scan on fresh install, added iexplore.exe as protected, and it still won't work. O.o

It acts as if the Identity shield isn't even installed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Then I think it's best for a Webroot Employee to reply  to help you further or you can contact WSA support by Submiting a Support Ticket

Best Regards,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello,

I used also Zemana's file to test the Identity Shield and to my big surprise all keystrokes which I did on whichever https site (regardless on it was in Opera or IE) were logged! It doesn't look good ... it really looks like the Identity Shield is not working properly in my case too. I have to add that I have a long-lasting issue with the missing padlock however I have been assured by the support guy during our remote session that it is rather an aesthetic issue but the Shield is working. Hmmmm ... it doesn't seem to be fully true.

As I have opened the support ticket for the missing padlock a long time ago I kindly ask Webroot engineers to resume it. I would be very grateful if my WSA work as it is supposed to including the padlock. This support ticket was opened before almost 4 months.

Thanks & regards,
pegas

EDIT:
I tried all Zemana's files to test in Opera and IE with the following results:
1)  KeyLogger test - WSA failed, please more to see above
2) ClipBoard Logger test - WSA failed, all my copy/paste actions have been logged
3) ScreenLogger test - WSA succeeded, WSA prompted me to block screenlogger.exe test file
4) WeCamLogger test - the test file always crashed, so I cannot evaluate if WSA would succeed but anyway I am not so bothered about the WebCam leaks
5) SSL-Logger test - not available for free download in Zemana's web.

So all in all, I have to admit that I am quite disappointed that WSA failed in the tests 1) and 2).

Looking to hear from Webroot techs. 

Oh, well then I see no point in opening a ticket myself. If it's an ongoing issue, I'll just go back to testing the AV beta, and return KeyScrambler Premium. I'll continue to follow this thread.
Userlevel 7
I'm going to look into this issue and see if our lead developer is aware of it.  I was able to reproduce the failed state according to the keylogger test as well on an XP-32 test box running IE8 and FF12, so it's apparent at this point it's not something in a new version of either browser causing this.

Pegas, I'm going to use your existing ticket as the example case since it sounds like Alanon does not want a support ticket to be opened and you are running into the same problem anyway.  I will follow up via the ticket system if we need additional data.  Thank you for chiming in on this thread.

Alanon, while we can probably get by without opening a separate support ticket considering the reproducibility of the issue, it would still help to know which operating system you're on and the versions of the browsers this is affecting.  In general however, an issue like this would normally need to be handled through the ticket system in order to facilitate investigation.

I'll provide an update as soon as I know more.

Thanks to everyone participating in this thread!
Hi! I'm running WinXP SP3 x32 If affects the current Firefox Beta (v.14), and IE 8. As far as the ticket goes, I just didn't want to clutter you guys up. If you need any more info, I'll be glad to help. In the meantime, I've reinstalled the beta AV, but I can go back to WSAE to test the bugfix. 😉