Knowledge Base

Are synced files lost online if deleted?

• 27 April 2012
  • 0 replies
Are synced files lost online if deleted?
Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 2146 replies

Question

Hello,

I'm a little confused about whether synced files are securely backed up. Since all synced files are altered when a change is made, does that mean if a file is deleted, even if by mistake, it will be deleted on synced computers and online? Or if a computer breaks down and has to be reformatted, are the synced files online removed as well?

I assume synced files are protected even if not on the Web archive as this would defeat the value of syncing, but I've not been able to find this topic on Webroot documentation.

Thanks.

Answer

If you delete a file from your computer, it is removed from synced files as well. (Unless you have used Webarchive, which keeps all files even if you do delete them from your comptuer.) You can retrieve it in the deleted files folder and can see how in our backup user guide. This is one reason to be sure you no longer need a file before removing it from the Deleted Files folder.

If you have to reformat your computer or replace it, the files are not lost or sent to the deleted files folder. They are still accessible in the cloud and can be downloaded using the Webroot console, click here to see how to do this.

This topic has been closed for comments