Userlevel 7
Badge +35
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 831 replies

MOBILE PROTECTION CHANGES IN BUILD 3.6.0.6624 - August 14nd 2014

http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/wsab-mobile_protection_logo.png

• Various bug fixes.

14 replies

Any ETA for an updated version of the Webroot Mobile Protection iOS app?

It's ridiculous that this solution is dependant on the app being manually opened and in the foreground.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Any ETA for an updated version of the Webroot Mobile Protection iOS app?

It's ridiculous that this solution is dependant on the app being manually opened and in the foreground.
Thanks for the reminder - let me check and find out.
Any news Nic?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Any news Nic?
Yep - so I checked with support escalations and they told me it was fixed.  But there wasn't any update to the app itself, and when I tried it again I still had the issue.  I let them know, so they're duplicating the issue again and going back to the devs to find out what is going on.  Perhaps they've fixed the issue but the app update hasn't hit the Apple store yet, hence the confusion in communications.  I'll let you know when I find out what's new today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok, here's the latest:

There's a partial fix - you'll need to re-enroll the devices to get it to go through though.  The app will now respond while in a background state as it should, after the re-enrollment.  So delete the app off your iPhone, re-install it, and then go through the enrollment process again.

The remaining issue is that if you manually end task on the app, or reboot your device, it won't respond again until you've run the app at least once to get it in the background again.  I'm working with escalations on getting this documented and fixed.  

Give the re-enrollment a shot and let me know if you're seeing the same behavior.
Thanks Nic.

I've re-enrolled as directed and it does work in background now, which is a step in the right direction.

When this works without manually starting the app and leaving it in the background, it will again be a useful tool.

I eagerly await that development.

Cheers,
Adam
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Cool, thanks for confirming the partial fix.

I've got confirmation that the bug has been entered in our tracking system, and I'll let you know when a fix goes out.  From some Googling I've found that VOIP apps are allowed to start on boot, so it is possible to make that happen.
It's 5 months later and Webroot Mobile Protection on iOS still requires an app to be manually started and left running in the background to achieve anything useful.

Please tell me this is being looked into. It's a long time now with no updates to a solution already acknowledged as fundamentally flawed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Let me check on the status.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No updates unfortunately - it's still on dev's list to fix.  I'll update when I hear back again.
Our Mobile Protection subscription is up for renewal shortly and honestly I am reluctant to do so, until the Mobile Protection iPhone App works in the background without having to be manually run by the user.

On Android, Mobile Protection works exactly as I'd expect and is consistent with Endpoint Protection. The problem is the far majority of my mobile fleet are iPhones and will continue to be.

In it's present form, it is simply untrue to claim that Mobile Protection will work on your iPhone. I understand that the IOS platform is not as threatened as Android, but even Lost Device Protection on iPhone does not work without the application open on the device.

Again, I'd please ask for this to be looked at. It's a very long time now since the iPhone App was updated.

Cheers,
Adam
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't blame you on this one - let me check again to find out the latest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No progress on this yet, unfortunately, so I'm afraid you'll have to look at other solutions besides us until we get this one sorted out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
One updated piece of info - the lock and wipe functions work without the app running, it's just the locate and scream functions that won't function if the app isn't running.