adding/installing a new keycode vs renewal - my experience

• 24 June 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Recently I bought a new WSA license instead of renewing my old one. When I purchased my laptop a little over a year ago, I purchased WSA Plus thru Best Buy. To avoid having my credit card info on file, I chose to buy a new keycode. The process can be very smooth if you know in advance certain things. I did contact support as my 1st step was checking in the Webroot KB Adding a Keycode into a Console
Support did give me instructions to add the new keycode to my existing console netc,, Eventually everything did work. I am sharing my experience with all of you hoping that it will anyone for future (or current) issues.

When I added the new keycode to my online account, I added a new console to stop the renewal notices from Best Buy. As my old keycode was purchased from Best Buy and my new keycode is thru Webroot, I did unistall my WSA and reinstalled with my new WSA disc I purchased. You DO need to do this as they have different installers. If you do not, you will continue seeing messages to renew in your console.

Despite doing the uninstall and reinstall, I couldnt sign in to my browser password manager. It gave me the BEST BUY renewal message.  I contacted support, they answered me to uninstall and re-install using the installer they gave me a link to. After unintalling and reinstalling again, I was able to use the browser password manager BUT I couldnt access my online account! SO I registered again using my new keycode and BOTH consoles were there.

Today I added another new keycode and had no problem adding it to my account as I DID NOT add a new console, I used the same one. All my passwords were there. First I added the keycode to my console on my computer. Second I went to my webroot anywhere, added the keycode to same console. NOTE: once you activate the new keycode on your computer console, your online console shows 0 PC's protected on your old keycode YOU ARE PROTECTED so dont worry. Once you add it to your online account it shows the PC as protected on the new keycode. 
MY ADVISE: use the same console

I did however have an issue when I restarted my computer with my number pad. It was not working. I have read some older posts about keyboard issues but I do not think it was this issue as it pertained to the entire keyboard. At least that is what I have found. What I did was use the numbers on the main keyboard and then tried the keypad and it worked fine. I did not uninstall and re-install and I believe if I had done it that way, I would not have had the experience. I believe it is a Window 8.1 thing and the system may have gotten confused. The number pad was fine prior to restarting. Webroot is much quicker than Microsoft. I have restarted and rebooted and have no issues.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
As you might have noticed, while the Best Buy Internet Security version is almost identical to the standard WSA-Internet Security Plus, there ARE some differences.  One is the System Optimizer.  The Best Buy version has it the standard version doesn't.

Thank you for the write up on your experiences!  Well done, and I may be using it in the future to point new Community members to when they have the same situation as yourself.
Userlevel 7
Oh, and also notice my Signature area: I have links for different downloads for a reason.  ALL standard versions use the same download, but the Best Buy version uses it's own, and the key code are NOT compatible with each other.  The Best Buy download works only with the Best Buy key codes.
Userlevel 6
DavidP1970, I did find that out after the fact, the Best Buy version is basicly Complete for 3 devices minus Backup and Sync. Of course NO ONE at Geek Squad told me this nor did I find that out thru sales. I dont think the sales were aware of that but Nic has that covered now.  Geek Squad is very good, but to have them check your system, you have to pay for their tech support - costly or pay to have them check your system - also costly. Webroot support does it for free using the WSA logs and to be perfectly honest, Webroot Support is more efficient and knowledgable. BTW, my new keycode is for WSA Complete :D
Userlevel 7
Yeah, I know the Best Buy version pretty well... I am sort of the "house expert" here on the Community regarding it 🙂
Userlevel 6
Yes, noticed that DavidP1970, makes life very easy for others. The different installers was something that I knew on my own assumption and past programming experience I guess because of the Geek Squad messages. Thats why I mentioned that point in my post. I followed the instructions from tech support to add it to my console. I had asked if I need to uninstall and install using my new disc (I bought a new keycode and the installation disc). They replied to add to the console (yes I told them old was Best Buy). I then uninstalled and reinstalled the Webroot version that I bought. The installer on the disc is same as the one I downloaded, its not from Best Buy. Adding the console may or may not have been why I had to do a 2nd un/re. Maybe the 2nd times just the charm! LOL!
Does anyone else find it incredibly frustrating that Webroot will not allow end users to keep an existing license and extend it when another license (keycode) for the exact same product is purchased? This would keep their records cleaner, satisfy the overall experience for administrative consoles, and allow devices to not need a different key? The newly-purchased license could be deactivated simultaneously when the request is made to extend the existing license.

I don't see the problem here, but it's apparently rocket science for the Webroot higher-ups that be.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Does anyone else find it incredibly frustrating that Webroot will not allow end users to keep an existing license and extend it when another license (keycode) for the exact same product is purchased? This would keep their records cleaner, satisfy the overall experience for administrative consoles, and allow devices to not need a different key? The newly-purchased license could be deactivated simultaneously when the request is made to extend the existing license.

I don't see the problem here, but it's apparently rocket science for the Webroot higher-ups that be.
I understand why that would be very convenient, @, but unfortunately, that's just not how our Cart experience works.

A new keycode is generated for every new purchase, so as long as you're not renewing the same keycode through our website, our back-end will still have 2 codes for what you're wanting to be 1 subscription.

I recommend calling our Sales Team and renewing by phone. They'll be able to renew your current license in just a few minutes and also ensure you're getting the best pricing we currently have available.
Sales Number: 1-866-612-4268 M-F 7am?8pm MT

Hope this helps!