Adware continues to show in Safari and webfoot won't fix it. What should I do next?

• 12 April 2015
  • 2 replies

I am flyingears in Virginia.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi flyingears

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I am not a Mac user and so no expert in the matter but our Mac guru @ may be able to help.

Sherry has also put together the following information that may be of assistance inf you are technical...but if you are not then best to either await her response to this thread or Open a Support Ticket so that the Support Team can take a look and help with your issue (this is a service that is free to WSA users with an active/surrent subscription).

"Identification of adware simply requires looking for certain key files. If one of these files are present, you are “infected” with the corresponding adware, and will need to follow the removal instructions specific to that adware.

It is important to work through this entire page! Do not stop after finding one piece of adware, or look for a specific piece of adware that you believe is installed. Often, a single malicious installer will dump multiple adware programs onto your system, so you must be sure you find all of them.

Examine Browser Extensions

Examining browser extensions or add-ons are often sufficient to diagnose the issue. Look at the extensions you have installed in your browser, using the following methods:

• Safari – choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon, near the right side of the row of icons along the top of the window.
  • Chrome – choose Preferences from the Chrome menu, then click the Extensions item in the list on the left side of the window.
  • Firefox – choose Add-ons from the Tools menu, then look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists in the window that opens.
It’s important to understand that there are plenty of legitimate browser extensions out there. If you see any of the items shown in bold below, however, that’s a sign that you have adware installed. Be sure to look at the removal instructions, rather than just removing the extensions, as some adware installs more than just browser extensions!

• Codec-M
  • Yontoo and/or Torrenthandler
  • Anything claiming to be Adobe Flash Player
  • ChatZum
  • Conduit, MyBrand, Trovi, Search Protect, or anything ending with Community Toolbar
  • Searchme, Slick Savings, Amazon Shopping AssistantEbay Shopping Assistant and/or Domain Error Assistant see
  • GoPhoto.it
  • Omnibar
  • savekeep, saVe keeepsuave keepo, or anything similar 
  • jollywallet cash back
  • Vidx, Viddxx, Vidox, Viidax, ViiDDx, or anything similar
  • MacVX (and variants like MacVaX), MacCaptain, MacPriceCutSaveOnMacMac Global Deals or MacDealsMacSter, MacXcoupon, Shop Brain (or variants like SShoP Braaiin)
  • Awesome Screenshot – remove this extension
  • PalMallMacShop, MacSmart, News Ticker Remover, Shopper Helper Pro, Photo Zoom, Best YouTube Downloader, ArcadeYum, Cinema-Plus Pro (and variants like Cinema + HD or Cinema + Plus +) – remove these extensions

Examine Libraries

Some adware installs LaunchAgents, which are used to keep a component running in the background at all times. You will need to look in two different LaunchAgents folders. (If you’re not sure how to locate a folder from a path, see Locating files from paths.) If you see a file matching the description, you have adware installed!

~/Library/LaunchAgents

• com.codecm.uploader.plist
  • anything with the word “genieo” in it

/Library/LaunchAgents

• anything with the word “genieo” in it
  • com.conduit.loader.agent.plist
  • anything beginning with “com.vsearch”

/Library/LaunchDaemons

• Jack.plist, or anything beginning with “com.vsearch'
  • com.perion.searchprotectd.plist

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

• zako.plugin ="
I hope that this is of assistance but I repeat unless you are technically minded/confident you know what you are doing you should steer clear of tempering with the above and await either further instructions from Sherry or you should open the support ticket and await contact from them.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello flyinggears,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

@ has covered everythng that I know of. I would just be wary to any free programs that you may have downloaded and  go to Perferences in the upper left hand side of Safari by the Apple icon and click the menu and I would click on Clear History and Website Data which should help.

Otherwise if you have anything that is listed in the adware list that Baldrick has stated in his post then I'd advise that you submit a Support Ticket because some of this can be techinical in removing from the libraries.

Kind Regards,