Are we protected against GEMA virus?

• 11 July 2016
  • 1 reply

Hi Everybody!

This is my firs time and I have a question.  Are we protected against GEMA virus with Webroot?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi lobo100

Welcome to the Community Forums..

From what I have researched GEMA is a ransomware application that gets installed on target computers by Trojan infections. The Trojan that is responsible for distributing the GEMA payload virus is called Reveton. As far as I can see it has been around for a few years now and therefore WSA should have the measure of it .

WSA does protect against ransomware attacks but given that the malware writers are constantly evolving their crapware to say that you are 100% of the time would be foolish...no security software can honest say that...but WSA does a very good job nonetheless using some pretty unique features the key one being that if WSA cannot determine if a file is good or bad it will reduce what it is allowed to do on your system & monitor/journal all subsequant activity so that should it determine that the file is bad then it can use the journals to roll back any actions performed by the file before determination.

If interested in learning more about journalling please review this previous thread that covers the technical details quite well.

Also of use may be this KB Article on best practices for securing your environment against Cryptolocker and ransomware in general.

Hope that answers the question and provides useful information? But if not then please post abck with any further questions you may have.

Rehards, Baldrick