Solved

Babylon Toolbar

• 9 November 2013
  • 7 replies

Had Webroot for a couple of years now and Babylon has slipped through and hijacked my search engines. When you run Webfoot it locates the malware says it has removed it but the malware remains. Any suggestions ?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 10 November 2013, 02:09

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hello,
I am member of the customer support team here at Babylon. I'm sorry to hear that you unexpectedly received our search tools, but we can assure you that Babylon is no way malware and will not cause any harm to your computer. 
Our search settings are optional and can be easily declined during the installation process. If you either install them accidentally or decide after trying them that you are no longer interested in using them, we provide full, clear and easy to follow uninstall instruction on our website, and on our YouTube channel - http://www.babylon.com/info/uninstall . If for any reason users have a problem during the uninstall process, we also offer email, live chat, and phone support.
Please contact us at support@babylon.com and we'll do our best in order to help you.
Well thank you for posting but the issue is it's unwanted you bundle your software and it's pre-checked by default and most users don't watch while they install. I clean allot of these PC's with so many toolbars and such crapware if I truly wanted your software I would go to your site and download it I'm part of the larger Security Community on the Net and we all speak the same we hate pre-checked crapware sorry but I'm speaking the truth!

TH
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hello TripleHelix,
As a member of Babylon support team, I'll be glad to answer any questions you have regarding our services.
Our company partners with a large number of your favorite software companies, who package our tools with their programs in order to give you the option to use these programs for free.
We work to comply with all appropriate guidelines for installation.
Also, we make sure that our search offers are not pre-checked; they are optional and can be easily declined during the installation process.
We provide quick uninstall instructions to our search tools on our website and we also offer email, live chat, and phone support.
Feel free to contact us and we'll do our best in order to help you.
Respectfully,
Babylon support team
I appreciate your responses here, but I feel the need to speak my mind regarding your software endeavors and why they are so maligned within the Malware Community.

We do not  like "quick uninstall instructions to our search tools on our website and we also offer email, live chat, and phone support.".... We want a proper, fully functional uninstaller with the software.  Just like any normal Windows based program does.  We want to know what is being installed without having to read the fine print.  Any legit program on my computer I can simply click All Programs, Program Name Folder, Uninstall, OR use the Control Panel.  If I can't remove it instantly from the normal methods of software removal, I classify it as potentially dangerous and definately unwanted.

If I have to go to YouTube or your webpage to figure out how to remove it, I will always classify it as malware, adware or annoyware, and I will remove it from any and all machines that I work on.

In general, "Search Tools" and most other toolbars quite simply are almost always unwanted advertisement drivers, they are not needed, and they slow down the computers of the unwitting user to ends up getting them installed when they piggy back along with the installer of the software they are really trying to install.  The toolbars affect performance and collect browsing data, and some of them (I am not ranking your product here as I dont know enough about it) can be considered not just adware/annoyware but a form of malware as well.

ANY program that changes my browser settings is unwanted and considered to be malware.

I am very sorry, but that is my own personal opinion and it  is shared by the vast majority of computer professionals that I work with.  Anything that attempts to piggy back onto my computer, and is intentionally difficult to remove, is unwanted and potentially dangerous.
Userlevel 7
HI manji

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Sorry to hear about your experience.  Given what you are reporting about the toolbar persisting I would recommend you open a support ticket and provide the details of what you are seeing, as it looks likely you will need Webroot Support to provide manual assistance with the removal of the toolbar.  This happens in some cases.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello manji and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

The Babylon toolbar must of installed with a Program that you downloaded theses Programs most times have Unwanted Add-ons called PUA's.
and users should be diligent when installing software to make sure you uncheck these unwanted add-ons and most times you can go to Add/Remove Programs and look for Babylon Toolbar and uninstall it, with that said most are not Malicious but they do like taking over your Browsers home page and the Unwanted Toolbar and in this case Baldrick was correct to point you to Submit a Support Ticket and please let us know the outcome as it could help others.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Hello,
I am member of the customer support team here at Babylon. I'm sorry to hear that you unexpectedly received our search tools, but we can assure you that Babylon is no way malware and will not cause any harm to your computer. 
Our search settings are optional and can be easily declined during the installation process. If you either install them accidentally or decide after trying them that you are no longer interested in using them, we provide full, clear and easy to follow uninstall instruction on our website, and on our YouTube channel - http://www.babylon.com/info/uninstall . If for any reason users have a problem during the uninstall process, we also offer email, live chat, and phone support.
Please contact us at support@babylon.com and we'll do our best in order to help you.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hello,
While I am not a fan of any toolbars or similar I appreciate such honest approach offered by you.
Hello TripleHelix,
As a member of Babylon support team, I'll be glad to answer any questions you have regarding our services.
Our company partners with a large number of your favorite software companies, who package our tools with their programs in order to give you the option to use these programs for free.
We work to comply with all appropriate guidelines for installation.
Also, we make sure that our search offers are not pre-checked; they are optional and can be easily declined during the installation process.
We provide quick uninstall instructions to our search tools on our website and we also offer email, live chat, and phone support.
Feel free to contact us and we'll do our best in order to help you.
Respectfully,
Babylon support team