Bing popup

Why isn't Webroot or Mozilla stopping this obnoxious Bing popup?
https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-in/affiliateprogram?s_cid=en-in_smb_a_cj_5827583
How can we make it stop?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi aboland2544

Would you be able to provide us with a sample website URL or two so that we can see if we can reproduce what yo uare seeing?  I have tried going onto MS webistes with FF29 but just cannot get this to happen on either of my two machines.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
OK, first site I now get but second one provided...nope.

Now, if I read you correctly you are asking why WSA is not blocking this?  The answer is that the site is advertsing and not as such malicious as far as I can tell so the Web Threat Shield will not react.  If you would like Webroot to consider that decision then please submit a URL Reputation Change Request so that it can be considered but between you and me...not sure that this site will be accepted as a threat...just my humble opinion.

As to why Mozilla does not block it...I cannot say.  Perhaps what yo should do is downlaod and install either AdBlock Plus or  Bluhell Firewall (don't be fooled by the name) add-ons and see if they help.  Of course this advice is my own and not support or condoned by Webroot.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
For one thing, it happens everytime I access a Microsoft site.  Sometimes it flies across the screen and disappears and sometimes it stay...I am using FF 29.0.1
Userlevel 7
Same thing here.  I've been to Microsoft.com, TechNet, MSDN and the Microsoft Community (yes, I hate to admit it but I cheat on my fellow Webrooters sometimes :S) and I could not reproduce this issue even when logged in. 
Userlevel 7
Cheat, Jeff?  What's to cheat about it...a good source of helpful information...I would say...
Userlevel 7
Hi aboland,

As a few of us have been trying to replicate what you get but can't, I'm getting a hunch that either the adds are legitimate, location based adds (the link you gave in the first post is to an India targeted page), or, you have a PUA (also known as a PUP) which could be causing the adds to appear. Can you go into your Webroot settings by opening the interface, then clicking the "advanced settings" button? From there, click on the "Scan settings" tab, and see if "Detect potentially unwanted applications" is checked. If it isn't please check it, and save your configuration. If it is already checked, go ahead and uncheck it, save the configuration, then recheck it, and save the configuration again. Resetting the PUA setting sometimes helps Webroot detect them. Please let us know if that works 😃. If it doesn't work, then it's a bit over my head, and I would have to refer you to Webroot's technical support. If you need to submit a ticket, you can go here to submit a trouble ticket and Webroot's top-notch support staff will surely be able to figure out what's going on and fix it for you 😉.

Hope this helps,
Shran
Thanks everybody.  I'll try it tomorrow when i'm not braindead and let you now results.
Userlevel 7
Glad to hear it!  I would definately follow the steps / suggestions that @ and @ gave you.

I have tried to replicate this problem with Firefox, Chrome, IE11 and Opera and have yet to get the ad to appear (except with when clicking on the direct link you supplied).

Let us know how you make out!
Userlevel 7
Hello aboland2544 and welcome to the Webroot community 😃.

Can you tell us what websites you are at when this web page opens? Does it happen with only specific browsers and or websites? This will help us to narrow down the culprit and help you :D

Shran
Userlevel 7
Hi there aboland2544.  Welcome!!

My first question is, what web page are you on when you get that pop-up?  The second question is what version of Firefox are you using?
I supplied you with a URL for the popup in my first communication. It happens everytime I hit a MS site.  Here's one I just tried it on.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-files#1TC=windows-7
When the site loads, the Bing flashes on the screen, disappers then a drop down appears at the top of the page, something about ad ware and it too disappears.  Freeky.