Can people from friends list on facebook hack my computer

• 6 August 2016
  • 5 replies

Can someone from facebook friendslist hack my computer?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Hi and welcome to the Community ?

It is highly unlikely they could hack your computer.
However IF they got you to download some malware disguised in someway as a game etc then it becomes possible.
So on Social media it is better to act as paranoid and not download anything unless you already know that it is 100% safe. It is also wise to limit the amount of personal info you have available to other users as this can all give pointers towards passwords etc.

JtR
Userlevel 7
Hi kickbacked

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may add to the very good advice provided by Jasper...please take a look at this very interesting & salutory thread from the Facebook forums, that very much supports the stance suggested by Jasper.

Needless to say, there are many scams around on Facebook, including fake giveaways, like-farming pages, phishing attacks and spam links. A portion of these scams are initiated via a simple friend request. You login, and that red number appears over your Contacts icon at the top of your newsfeed. It could be a legitimate request from someone you know wanting to be a Facebook friend, but on the other hand...so that is how you can end up being hacked 'from your friends' list....but it is not something that will happen automatically.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I've always been leary of Facebook and have only 59 friends, each of whom I know personally from high school, neighbors, or relatives.  I cannot believe that any one of them are capable of hacking anything.  LOL...Only they can contact me or post on my timeline.  I believe I'm locked down pretty tight  except for my Daughter, who has close to 3000 Friends.  Leaves me to wonder if I could get hacked due to her lack of discrimination with friend requests.  I think she is probably a plankowner in Facebook.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I stay away from Facebook, the only thing I use is Twitter and I have it fully locked down.
Userlevel 7
Personally I don't use either Facebook or Twitter...I have better things to do with my time...;)