Cant run a dvd in VLC on my hp envy. How do I allow in Webroot?

Userlevel 1
I cant run an installation dvd in VLC. How do I allow in webroot?

11 replies

Hi ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Webroot should not be preventing you from playing a DVD. I have VLC installed here on my laptop. I can play a DVD with no interference from Webroot. However, Webroot may be preventing you from installing VLC if, perhaps, you downloaded from a source other than the VLC website.
If you downloaded it from a different source it could contain additional, unwanted software or malware that Webroot may block.

Also, when installing VLC be sure that the "disc playback" box is checked under the "Choose Components" portion of the installation.

Hope this info helps, :)

bd

Userlevel 1
Thanks for your reply. I reinstalled the VLC, but still come up the this message: Your input cannot be opened VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///E:/ 
Any other suggestions greatly welcomed.
Hi ?,

Are you trying to install the 32-bit version of VLC, or the 64-bit version?

The reason I ask is that in this VLC Forum, some users who were trying to install 64bit version had trouble like you. However, the 32bit version worked fine for them to play DVD's. So if you tried the 64bit then maybe try the 32bit version.

Please let us know how you get on. And maybe other Community members may chime in as well with suggestions. :)

Thanks,

bd
Userlevel 1
I did reinstall the 32bit, and made sure to check the play option. Still the same message.
Hi ?,

If your system is 64bit did you try installing the 64bit version?

To check whether you have 32bit or 64bit version of Windows go to; Start Button->Control Panel->System and Security->System:

?

The only other thing I can think of is to try installing the previous version of VLC which has helped other VLC users who's DVD capability stopped after an update. The current version is 2.2.4 so try 2.2.3 and hopefully VLC will fix this problem in their next update???

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Hopefully other Community members will have some suggestions, :)

Cheers,
bd
Userlevel 7
Hi Penni

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may just add here...I would try, if you have not already, to see if the issue is with your DVD drive...if you have Windows Media Center/Player try to use that to access and play the DVD...if it is the DVD rather than VLC itself then you should get a message like "Media Centre error message - Cannot detect a video DVD in the dvd rom drive".

If you do get that then the next thing to try is to uninstall & reinstall the DVD from the Device Manager. If you want to try that then you should be able to use the following:

1. Select RUN from Start Menu
2. Type "devmgmt.msc"
3. That should display the Device Manager
4. Under 'CD/DVD ROM Drives' select your device & right click
5. From the context menu select 'Uninstall'
6. From the Action Menu click on 'Scan for hardware changes' & the system should find the device & reinstall it
7. Reboot.

And now try VLC again.

Regards, Baldrick
Excellent suggestion ?!

Two heads ARE better than one!

Great teamwork, friend, :)

bd
Userlevel 7
No worries, BD...as you say...TEAMWORK. :D

Baldrick
?

Just for clarification I thought I'd add that both the 32bit and 64bit versions of VLC should work on a 64bit version of Windows. However, only the 32bit version will work if your Windows version is 32bit.

bd
Userlevel 1
I uninstalled from device manager, and checked for changes, rebooted. Still can't play it. Windows media player and VLC recognize the dvd, when I hit play, VLC still gives me the error msg, windows media does nothing.
Userlevel 7
Hi Penni

Now just wondeirng if the DVD disc intself is faulty? Have you tried to play it in another DVD player; perhaps a friends machine?

Regards, Baldrick