Checking in. New to Webroot.

• 2 November 2017
  • 6 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies
Hi, I've just installed Webroot on a trial basis. While I've no experience of its abilities, the reviews I've read about it's intruiging methods and the general approach of the company have given me confidence. I've got a fairly low-spec machine running Win7 x64, so I started looking for a lightweight AV to replace Avira (and previously Avast) which seems too demanding on resources and intrusive in other ways. I asked a question of support and got a prompt, helpful answer even before I bought or installed, and that level of support means a lot, so I went ahead. Now to uninstall Avira...probably with Revo...

I've also been having some curious issues with a rogue window popping up, ignored by AV scans (Avira and Malwarebytes, and now not considered a threat on the initial scan of Webroot either), so maybe the active process control utility might help with this kind of thing, and with Windows services jamming up the system from time to time (I should install more memory).
Cheers, treehouse

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Salutations, @! :cathappy:
Thanks for joining us here @ Webroot. I think you'll really enjoy your stay! (I know I have)

In regards to the rogue window popping up, that could be caused due to a variety of reasons. I highly recommend getting in touch with our Support Team so they can dig into the pesky problem further. I'm eager to hear what it is they find out!

Support Number: 1-866-612-4227 M-F 7am?6pm MT
Send us a Support Ticket

I hope this helps you!!! :catexcited:
Userlevel 7
Hi treehouse

In the case of the removal of Avira you could try their removal utility Instructions and Utility (Manual directions and Registry cleaner application), if you find that you have issues.

Regards, Baldrick
Cheers guys. JP, it's great to know the tech people are there to help fix issues, and thanks for your interest. I might have to disappoint you finding out what that window was - so far it's not appeared again after uninstalling Avira and a bit of a Cclean.

Baldrick, thanks for that cunning plan! I uninstalled Avira using Revo Uninstaller, which ran the Avira default uninstaller on this occasion, but it then scans for leftovers and allows you to clean them up.

The Startup lists in Webroot and Ccleaner also alerted me to a McAfee hanger-on, some kind of update monitor exe (Webroot listed this as invalid, I think), but Ccleaner zapped that doing my usual clean. The McAfee probably arrived when I last updated the Flash plugin. It offered to install some McAfee thing or other, which I declined, and then it installed it anyway!
Userlevel 7
No worries, treehouse.

Yes, I use Revo Pro too...but what I have found is that whilst very, very good it is not infallible, especially if the install was not monitored by Revo in the first place (Pro version feature only) which is why, where there is a specific removal tool sourced from a reliable author, I like to/recommend that it is used if possible.

By the way...there is also an official McAfee Removal tool which you may want to explore/run just incase there are any dregs...as even CCleaner is, again, not foolproof. ;)

McAfee  Download and Instructions

•  This covers a variety of products
Regards, Baldrick
Baldrick, I beg to differ. I'm less confident that the author of software is reliable when it comes to a removal tool, since they might want to retain markers on your system that you were a customer, details of your installation and who knows what else. I'd rather trust unaffiliated tools, designed to get round any sneaky behaviour or carelessness by the official company.

Anyway, on this occasion, the instructions say: "You should only use the MCPR tool if the Windows removal methods shown above do not work," and I've no indication there are any McAfee bits left, and "MCPR will clean up only the components needed for reinstallation. It is not designed to clean up 100% of components."

As a general rule, installing, uninstalling or running anything without a clear reason should be avoided. It just gives another opportunity for something to go wrong.

Interesting re Revo Pro, though - I'll have to look into that.
Userlevel 7
Differ away, treehouse 😉...I understand where you are coming from but this is not my experience and in fact I have used the McAfee Removal Tool as a straight remover with no ill effect and as far as I could see removal was complete (well as complete as I could tell)...and one has to trust someone...which is why I mentioned that such tools should only be used when from reputable authors.

I would not trust the author of a PUA to provide a proper removal tool but a major AV/AM/IS author (what ever one thinks about McAfee :p) I would...also having an image of the system are back...of course.

But tall the points debated are excellent and hopefully food for thought for us all. :D

Regards, Baldrick