Solved

Conflicts

• 7 October 2015
  • 7 replies

Secure Anywhere seems to scan only for MalWare but seems to conflict with Norton Antivirus. Does Secure Anywhere scan for viruses, does it conflict with Norton and can I get rid of Norton?
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 9 October 2015, 10:51

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there, welcome to the Community!

WSA and Norton usually play along with each other quite well.. WSA was designed to work well with other AV's.  That being said.. yes, you can get rid of Norton if you are having a problem, though Support MIGHT be able to help fix the problem if you file a Trouble Ticket.

If you DO decide to remove Norton, please make sure you use the Norton Removal Tool.  Do not just use the uninstaller found in your Control Panel or on the Start Menu.  While that often works, when it fails it can fail rather spectacularly causing a lot of problems.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello ? and Welcome to the Webroot Community. 

There is not any known conflict or incompatibility between the two softwares, and SecureAnywhere has been developed with aim of not normally having any issues running alongside another Antivirus software.  

That said, Webroot is more than enough to give you all the protection you need on its own, and I'd advise you to uninstall Norton, as it is giving you no benefit above SecureAnywhere. 
If you'd like to describe any conflict you're seeing, we'd be happy to advise, or ask any questions.

Some references: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Introduce-yourself-to-the/Uninstall-Norton/m-p/210942#M5631   

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Introduce-yourself-to-the/does-webroot-completely-replace-Norton-360/m-p/144853#M3904  

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Introduce-yourself-to-the/Webroot-and-existing-AV-already-installed/m-p/204707#M5432
But WSA provides antivirus protection without me having to do anything to turn it on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hello [user=45924][/user],

Yes, it is "always on" and looking for active viruses, malware, and identity compromises.

Rest assured that you are protected.

Best Regards,
Dave
Userlevel 7
Hi dbsief

If I may just add my two pennies worth here as I ran Norton & WSA together for a number of years. Whilst all posted previously is good sound advice, should you want to run both WSA & Norton together on the same system...for whatever reason...then the trick to making sure that they do play well together is to make sure that each is added to the 'exclusion' fucntionality of the other (sometimes called 'trusted apps' or something similar.

In the case of WSA all you should need to do is to add the key Norton components to the 'Block'Allow Files' list in WSA, with them set to 'Allow' rather than 'Block' (click on the gear /cog symbol to the right of 'PC Security' in the main app panel. Click on the 'Block/Allow Files' tab and at the bottom of the new panel clcik on the 'Add File' button, then navigate to the Norton folder on your system and select the components marked 'Application' (you will need to do this several times as there are a number of components if memory serves).

In Norton do essentailly the same, using the 'Trusted Application' fucntionality (I think that is what it is called) but to components in the Webroot folder on your system; if I recall you may even be able to mark the Webroot folder itself for exclusion rather than having to go through the labourious task of selecting individucal .exes (WSA does not yet have this feature but I believe it is in the works).

Hopefully, if you decide to keep both, then the above should make sure that they play well together, but as one of the other posters said...WSA should be sufficient to keep you well protected unless there is some feature that you cannot do without in Norton, and so need to run both.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Very comprehensive answer.

Thank you
Userlevel 7
Hi dbsief

You are most welcome...glad that we could help. Thank you for the feedback...it is always appreciated.

Regards, Baldrick