Does anyone else notice that IE windows/pages are slow to load now that WSA is installed?

• 18 June 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
I just recently installed WSA and I have noticed that when I open up a new window/page to visit 2 different sites at once or to check emails while on another site, it seems to take some time for the page to load fully so that I can make use of the features on the page, like typing, moving the right bar up and down to scroll the entire length of the page, etc.

Is this because my WSA product is scanning the content on the page to make sure there is nothing hidden or dangerous on that page that might try to infiltrate into my computer?

Being a total dweeb in the tech sector I have no clue, but I thought this might explain it since it has only been doing this since I installed my WSA product. :$

Anyway, thanks so much for taking a look! :D

But, just to add, I do love ❤️ the ease with which my WSA product handles its affairs on my computer. The scan happens in a blink and it has taken care of 3 issues that it found since installation, cooties that came from out of nowhere from sites that I normally visit.

I feel so much better now that I have this on my laptop and I don't have to deal with the monster downloads from my previous protection product.  I am one happy camper! 😃

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there!

Last fall, when the 2014 version Web Threat Shield IE Exensions first came out, reports of IE slowdown while not common, were noted.  The problem then seemed to only affect IE, and most users did not notice the problem, but it was reported here on the Community by a few users.  Webroot did some work, and the problem seemed to be resolved.  We have not seen new threads regarding a possible slowdown for quite a while, at least not that I recall.

Ok.. having said that.....  If you don't mind me asking, what version of Windows is your computer and how old is it?  I will admit that IE, on MY computer, runs slower than does Chrome or FireFox.  My computer is rather aged... and is terribly short on RAM, and my WiFi connection is on the slow side.  My guess is that while the Web Threat Shield in IE may cause a slight slowdown still, the majority of users will not notice it. 

If your computer is a bit more up to par than mine, (If you have Windows 8, and a decent amount of RAM), there are still a couple of things that can be checked.

Open IE
Go to Manage Extensions
Find the Webroot Fitering Extension, and let us know what version is on your computer.  (Just to make sure you have the current version)

If your have the current version, you can also submit a Trouble Ticket to have Webroot Support take another look at it as it performs on your own computer to determine if there are any performance issues that can be ironed out.  I would wait on this until you let us know what version you have, and a bit more about the computer specs.  

In my case, while IE does get slowed down a bit, it is not a huge amount: a second or two at most, I have not found it to be a major problem.  Of course I also admit that my default browser is FireFox due to the fact that even before installing WSA it just plain performs better than IE on my computer :)

Also, in my on view, even if pages ARE just a little slower to load, it is well worth it.  As you have seen, it IS working to keep potential risks off the computer that other solutions miss.   :)

Userlevel 7
Yes webpages in both IE and FF on my end are slow to load with WSA installed.

The problem is connected to the WSA extension as I have found. Disabling the extension solves the prob. I had contacted the Support Team via Trouble Ticket. But to no avail. They suggested I keep the extension disabled while they work on solving the problem. And indeed after some months and a couple of releases, the prob was solved and pages loaded fine. Until the last release which raised the prob again. I'm waiting for a release with the solution.

Well that's my experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I would also check on other add-ons as well.
Userlevel 7
Nice catch @

It's an IE thing. I am running IE11 on a Windows 8.1 x64 system; my settings are such that I get a warning if any add-ons or extensions take longer than 0.20s to load. You know, you get that cute pop-up message saying: "speed up browsing by disabling add-ons" :p

It's been an issue since IE 9 [ External link to the Microsoft Community ]

Anyway, I think WRSA takes 0.20s which is nothing IMHO. I say it's an IE issue because I have yet to encounter any slow downs in Chrome, Firefox or Opera.

As an aside, I get such a kick out of seeing your questions / replies / posts e.g.,
gr8auntteffie wrote: 
I feel so much better now that I have this on my laptop and I don't have to deal with the monster downloads from my previous protection product. I am one happy camper! :D
 Keep being a "happy camper" and as I believe it was Baldrick (and others) have said:  Stop referring to yourself as "a total dweeb in the tech sector"  You're miles ahead of some people I know ;)  and if I negelected to say it before, Welcome to the Webroot Community!
Userlevel 7
I will go one further: A "total dweeb in the tech sector" would not be aware of what they didn't know, nor would they ask.  Your asking questions and working to learn by itself make you light years ahead of that status.

You are doing fine 🙂
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Nice catch @

It's an IE thing. I am running IE11 on a Windows 8.1 x64 system; my settings are such that I get a warning if any add-ons or extensions take longer than 0.20s to load. You know, you get that cute pop-up message saying: "speed up browsing by disabling add-ons" :p

It's been an issue since IE 9 [ External link to the Microsoft Community ]

Anyway, I think WRSA takes 0.20s which is nothing IMHO. I say it's an IE issue because I have yet to encounter any slow downs in Chrome, Firefox or Opera.

As an aside, I get such a kick out of seeing your questions / replies / posts e.g.,
gr8auntteffie wrote: 
I feel so much better now that I have this on my laptop and I don't have to deal with the monster downloads from my previous protection product. I am one happy camper! :D
 Keep being a "happy camper" and as I believe it was Baldrick (and others) have said:  Stop referring to yourself as "a total dweeb in the tech sector"  You're miles ahead of some people I know ;)  and if I negelected to say it before, Welcome to the Webroot Community!
Awwwww...  :D
You are all so patient with my endless bag of questions!  I just like being able to reach out to others to see if you're noticing the same things and if so, if you have any tips on how to handle them...  And you're patient enough to let me ply you with them.

I'm glad to know that this is a twitch in the IE corner as I had received a support ticket email from WSA and I answered it as fully as I could to help them determine if there was anything that they need to look into, but again, I'm not sure my vocabulary is the sort that the uber experts would find helpful in any way!

Still, thank you for being patient and helpful and downright sweet! :D

Stephanie
Userlevel 6
@DavidP1970 wrote:
I will go one further: A "total dweeb in the tech sector" would not be aware of what they didn't know, nor would they ask.  Your asking questions and working to learn by itself make you light years ahead of that status.

You are doing fine :)
Thanks, David! :D
I figure if I ask and get an answer, I can compile my own 'cheat sheet' of notes so that I can troubleshoot on my own before bothering anyone else...

Computer problem and car problems totally freak me out!  It makes me feel like the ditzy chick in all the slasher films who sits there waiting for someone to come save her... :D

And yet I still don't know more than how to feed my car gas, replace the washer fluid and add air to the tires when they looked a little pancakey...  :p

As far as my computer, I know even less.  I charge it up and I sit before it like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to be dazzled and amazed by what I will see after I log in... :D

I know, I'm a resident of Dorkville, but at least I know where to go to get help with my tech questions! :D

Thanks again for your patience and generosity with your time and input!

Stephanie