Does renewal add to time left?

• 19 August 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Actually I have a few questions

1. On the renewal purchase confirmation before pressing buy now it says in bold letters: "your subscription begins with your purchase." However elsewhere and from tech support I'm told renewals do not begin with purchase but instead are added to remaining time. Apparently sometimes they create a new account for you upon renewal, in which case you lose your remaining time, other times they don't, in which case the time is added. Tech support was unable to help me figure this out or which category I belong in. I am guessing, that since I purchased from Amazon the first time, that the renewal will be from Webroot, so they will take away any remaining time as punishment for buying from Amazon or something. Can anyone confirm or clarify the policy?
  2. Secondly, I want to know

1. whether I will be stuck into an auto-renew system?
  2. Whether there is a clear sign I'm in or not in Autorenew ?
  3. Whether it is easy to get out of auto renew without sitting on hold and then fighting with Salespeople?

Finally, since it costs twice as much to renew my subscription, than to buy new from amazon, is there any reason to renew, and not simply buy a new product from amazon and start all over each year?

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
  1. So when you renew an existing license, it does add time to whatever time you have left on that license.
  2. You are automatically enrolled in auto-renewal if it's a new license, and you can opt out here.
  3. I can check for you if you send me your keycode in a private message.
  4. Yes, please see the link I posted above.
  5. I can merge the old license and the new one if you provide me both in a private message.
To be clear, do not post your keycode(s) to this thread, only send them to myself in a private message.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
  1. So when you renew an existing license, it does add time to whatever time you have left on that license.

First off, I checked your link for opting out and it is fine. This is a perfectly reasonable way to handle things.

But, I still do not understand whether I am renewing an existing license. I click renew in my existing product and choose to renew, in fact for 2 years. This would make me think since I choose renew, I am renewing my license. But:
I am told in bold letters that it will not add to my existing license, but instead begin a subscription from the date of purchase. According to what you say above, that means you are creating a new license for me even though I am trying to renew my existing license or possibly, the website on the purchase page, is incorrect.

Which is it? If I originally purchased from Amazon, and renew from the product in the system tray, am I renewing my license and the website is wrong, or do you create a new license and the website is right.

Either your website in bold letters is wrong, or when I renew, I am not really renewing but creating a new license.

Constantly telling me that a new license begins at purchase but renewing the old license adds to the time, does not resolve the question when I click to renew and am told it will start from the purchase date.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
If you are using the renewal option, then it will add time to your existing license. Let's say you have 10 days left and you renew for another year. Your license will now last for 375 days instead of 10. If you buy a new license, then the subscriptions need to be merged, which I can do for you.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
OK. I went ahead and renewed. It worked as you said, the 365 days were added to the license.

So, I would direct the people who renew to a different page which says, because you are renewing your subscription will be added. The site in bold letters says we will lose our time. I know it is better to deliver more than you promise, but still...

Also, I tried the opt out link, and it worked fine and easily. At least for my this time, it offered a 25% discount if I'd stick with auto renew.

Thank you for your support.