Solved

EMAIL PASSWORD - HOW TO PROTECT AND DEFEND

• 4 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello - I receive notifications by additional security I have if and when my email password is found on the web.  I change it keeping it strong with numbers, special characters, letters - upper and lower case using the max amount possible.  Have cable connected to Secure Wi-Fi (on) and use other devices on it.  This security covers monitoring service that works 24/7 and checks different avenues that hackers and thieves use but it does not cover file sharing. What are examples of file sharing?  

Email extensions I have are Webroot with Web Threat Shield and Adobe Acrobat but greyed out . These are the only two.  Can Adobe see and change information on sites? The reason I ask is because I have a lot of .pdf files on Adobe Acrobat. 

Am very careful about “Phishing” and know what to look. These are sent to spam, blocked, and reported. I use 2-way verification when available but do not use password managers. I change all my passwords very frequently using strong passwords. 

Am I missing something? Do you have any other thoughts about how an email password might be found and ways to defend and protect it?  I understand there is software that can “crack” passwords but wouldn’t my internet provider protect against this?

Just found out about DNS Hijacking - 

Every single time you type an address into your address bar your internet connected device it makes a request to a DNS server to get the actual (iP) Internet address. More and more malware is targeting your DNS requests so that you use a malicious DNS server instead of the one you have configured. DNS Hijacking is becoming a more common thing. Wouldn’t Webroot Secure protect and defend agains this?

An email password breach concern I have is if someone with bad intentions can remote into my computer.  I am very careful about this and have only allowed it a couple of times when needing computer tech support but the websites were good except one that I made a mistake on about 5 years ago and it downloaded 6 viruses that webroot caught and got rid of immediately. The person on the other end of the remote clicked allow malware to load! I went to a boogus website that looked like the real deal and called the phone number = MY FAULT. 

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by khumphrey 14 April 2021, 20:24

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Examples of file sharing: P2P services like bittorrent, WeTransfer, Mega.io, sharing file downloads over social media, etc.

If you’re using a password manager to create strong, long passwords then you’re mostly covered. The only exception is if you use the same password across multiple websites/accounts and one of those passwords gets leaked.

Use a unique password for your email account. Avoid the temptation of reusing passwords on multiple accounts. If you use the same password to log in to your favorite website as you do your email, you're putting your email at risk - if someone cracks your password on that site, they'll also have your email password.