Email threat

• 26 February 2019
  • 10 replies

Badge
Hi,

How can I know if my camera has been hacked? Even though I posses webroot.

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
There is really no way to "scan" a camera but there are a couple of options.

A hard reset is the easiest for most users to perform, just bear in mind that a reset can wipe pictures, preferences, settings, etc. on the device. Make sure you have copies of anything important on the device.

Flashing the firmware carries a lot more risk and there is the potential to turn your camera into a pretty brick. If you have never flashed firmware before find somebody that can sit with you and help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Most, if not all, PC cameras have a light that is turned on if the camera is on. If that light is off, you should be ok. However, I would suggest getting a cover for your camera. You can go the home made route and use a post-it note. Although they do make covers specifically for cameras on laptops and monitors that are flat. They're made to slide open when you want to use it, and slide close when you aren't. A lot of companies give these away as swag, so you might be able to get one for free. However, they should be pretty cheap on Amazon or at a Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I have a piece of electrical insulation tape over mine, nothing can see through that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
@Jasper_The_Rasper is hardcore on securing cameras! 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I have a piece of electrical insulation tape over mine, nothing can see through that.

Ditto, I have got the electrical black tape over my Mac's camera.. 😂
Userlevel 7
I use a little square piece of a post-it note. The camera is covered but I still see the green light. This is what they would see:

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
You guys are so paranoid! I don't put anything over my Camera! LOL

Userlevel 7
I wish I could get a square piece of post-it note with cheeks on it so that is what they only will see. I'm not talking about cheeks on the face either! ROFL.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
You guys are so paranoid! I don't put anything over my Camera! LOL

ROFLMHO!

Userlevel 7
Badge +28
@ProTruckDriver, why stop at a post-it with cheeks. Let's go all out and build a raspberry pi machine that connects to a tiny mini camera. Then have the mini camera play indescribable things or whatever back at whoever is watching.