Solved

Email Threat

• 27 September 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
Hi community. I just received an email from my business email to my business email from some jerk saying he has access to my computer and if I don't pay $796 to his bitcoin address he will distribute a video of me whilst visiting an adult site. I don't visit adult sites so I'm not bothered about any video, but I am concerned the email came from my business email address. I have webroot installed on my laptop and just did a scan and it removed 1 threat and says there are no active threats. Should I be concerned at this email coming from my own business account? Any help would be appreciated.
icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 27 September 2019, 03:56

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello @Lynda , Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. ☺️

Since a threat was removed from your computer I would recommend contacting Webroot Support. I also would recommend to copy and paste your above explanation in your Support Ticket. When sending in a Support Ticket a Webroot Log will automatically be sent.

Please submit a Support Ticket or Contact Webroot Support to sort this problem. This service is FREE with a Paid Subscription.
Support Ticket System is Open 24/7

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

HTH,
Dave.
Badge +1
Thanks Dave. I've just submitted a support ticket.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
@Lynda I had this problems with one of my email addresses receiving this type of blackmail email a month or so ago, I found the email address concerned had been involved in a data breach with Adobe.com in 2013! I found this out by checking the email address at this website which is safe to use:- https://haveibeenpwned.com/. I had to stop using and delete this email account in the end, as once your email is out there you will keep on receiving these types of emails and spam.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Sounds like a spoofed email to me. If you look at the email header i bet it was not from your email server. Best solution would be to setup a spam filter that handles this sort of spam.