'Evening All

• 11 November 2013
  • 2 replies

Just dropping in to say hello.  I can't quite figure out why this page says we're in the United States yet when I select United Kingdom I get taken all around the houses back to the US again.  Not that it really matters, the forum could be located in Antartica and only time zones make the difference.

What was an intereesting experience for me this past weekend was having just purchased a brand new PC, which came pre-loaded with windows 8 (new experience for me) and a popular AV programme.  Once I got round to firing up IE and downloaded Google (my preferred browser) and whole stack of adware came along.  All making itself very busy with in-your-face advertiments and other stuff.

I then downloaded and signed into my Webroot  account and installed it in the new PC.  WR immediately detected all the adware, malware and whateverware and cleaned it out very quickly.  The interesting thing about this tale was that the pre-loaded AV, which the shop almost implored me to buy, sat meekly by and never reported anything unusual!

Needless to say I uninstalled and removed the pre-loaded AV.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Welcome JakeyJ

Glad to have you at the Community Forums. :D

Thanks for posting re. your experience...this is useful information for other users frequenting the Forums.

Actually, this is one story that I have heard of a number of times before.  In some cases this has been due to the fact that the preloaded AV is just that, i.e., only preloaded and needs to be activated (which I just detest as I find it deceitful), but for what ever reason it missed the adware I am glad that WSA was able to sort it out for you.

Now that you are here we hope that you will drop by from time to time and share more with us...and should you ever have a question or need help there is always likely to be one or more members about who will try to help you out. :D

So once again, welcome, and enjoy WSA.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello JakeyJ and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉