Ever wonder why?

• 22 August 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
Why would webroot charge more for the update then getting it in the big box store? Why would they let customers slip away? In addition I purchased it at Wally World for almost 40% less (same coverage).

After entering the new code by hand , it shows the new code but it also states subscription expired...so I call Webroot and I am told that I should delete the program and re -enter it because the software that wally world is different! Really??? they why is "internet Security Plus" written on the box that YOU distribute? Maybe it should say " Internet security plus...but different" . Last year with webroot, too bad they could make it a lot easier for dummies like me and distribute the SAME SOFTWARE.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I'm sorry @outdoor that you had a bad experience. I've seen threads like yours pop-up from time to time and it's really sad. Webroot really needs to work with a marketing/communication/design company, that can help them:

1. Brand their products correctly.
  2. Standardize that branding.
  3. Market it to customers with the correct graphics and designs for the appropriate product.
  4. Help Webroot communicate with customers the difference between products.
Simply, this just says they need to standardize their branding, product lines, and communication to customers.

Sincerely,
NicCrockett
Badge +1
NicCrocket its so simple , exactly what you said. Most important they send you (me) notices its going to expire but want to charge me more? Actually it should be less than anywhere because they own it.
Our product is sold in the USA & Canada but the least expensive place to purchase is direct... simple
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I understand your point that buying direct might be the cheapest place to buy. However, this isn't necessarily true. If Wally World wants to discount the product and take a hit in hopes it draws in more customers that will buy other things they sell, that's their right too.

Also, I'm in the US, but if I remember correctly Webroot is a UK based company. This means that buying it in the US from a reseller is subject to tariffs and other such economic taxes and fees. Again, a reseller like Wally World can eat those, but it's their choice to do so.

Sincerely,
NicCrockett
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
I understand your point that buying direct might be the cheapest place to buy. However, this isn't necessarily true. If Wally World wants to discount the product and take a hit in hopes it draws in more customers that will buy other things they sell, that's their right too.

Also, I'm in the US, but if I remember correctly Webroot is a UK based company. This means that buying it in the US from a reseller is subject to tariffs and other such economic taxes and fees. Again, a reseller like Wally World can eat those, but it's their choice to do so.

Sincerely,
NicCrockett

I think the chance that that is the answer is between 0 and minus 1. Amazon for example, sells the basic package for < $20 and that's been their price for over a year. It is the same product. Renewal is $50. They are not eating that much on each sale.

It is assuredly like the cable companies that give you a great deal for a 1 year subscription, then jack up the price. Webroot lets you get in from Amazon for < $20 so probably they sell to Amazon in large quantities for about $15. Then, they put you on auto renew and charge $50 assuming most people will just renew.

It should be noted however, that $50 for 3 computers is very reasonable. A little high if you only have 1 computer, good if you have 2 and very inexpensive if you have 3. So they aren't really charging too much for renewal, but Webroot is willing to "eat it" to get you sucked in. Then they seem to deliver a good product worth what they charge for renewal.
Just a small point of information, Nic. Actually, Webroot is a US-based company (though it has offices—and of course developers—from all over the world). I think maybe you're confusing with the fact that some years ago Webroot acquired Prevx, a UK-based company, an acquisition pretty fundamental to the technology it now uses.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Well written @steveshank and a great way to explain it! 🤔

You're correct @Muddy7, @LLiddell informed me that Webroot is US based out of Colorado. I know of the Prevx days, but I wasn't with Webroot at that time. However, I deal with so many vendors, software companies, and consultants that it's easy to incorrectly remember where one is based. My apologizes to Webroot and to everyone for the confusion, @Muddy7 is correct. 😁

Sincerely,
NicCrockett
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Is there really a Wally World?
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I don't know all the retailers out there, so I honestly can't say. It's what they originally called it, so I ran with it. In the end, it doesn't matter cause the point is the same. It could be Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Sams, Costco, and the list goes on for miles. 😁
Userlevel 7
Is there really a Wally World?