fell through a crack....

Userlevel 2

About a year and a half ago I had a problem installing a new printer and ended up calling the support number that came with the printer.  The guy who was helping me on the phone was having a little trouble with the hardware that is in between the chair and the monitor and ended up taking control of my computer.  It turns out he said that I had some kind of virus that was not letting the printer install whether that was true or not I don’t know but he ended up putting Web Root on my machine and the company he worked for took over technical support and security and in doing that uninstalled the virus protection I had with another company.  So the printer is working I have paid for a years worth of technical support and Web Root is protecting my computer. I believe the support people have many clients just like me and Web Root is servicing them all but I don’t have an actual account with Web Root I am just one “node” in my tech supports account  All good….now a year and a half later my year of support has expired for about six months I only have two places money can leave my bank and I monitor them closely so I know there has been no automatic renewal…..no one has tried to bill me yet I still have Web Root on my machine and it seems to be working just fine…...don’t look a gift horse in the mouth and not do anything or call either my “support” guys and pay for another year….or call Web Root people and get my own account or uninstall “Root” and get Norton or McAfee?

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I am not sure if remote installs of Webroot Secure Anywhere looks the same, but open WSA, and click on the gear next to “My Account”. On that ‘page’ you should be able to see your subscription status. It might look something like this . (Note I’m not sure if remote monitored accounts look like this or even have this screen.). What do you see?

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the help.  Yes that is exactly what I see and when I try to make an account the error message says “This keycode is associated with another account” my old tech support guys I am assuming still have me as a client however unless they have super secret access to my bank I am not sure that is possible.  Seems I am still listed by them.  I suppose I need to uninstall then have the Web Root guys do a reinstall.  The bottom line is I seem to be getting my protection for nothing now and while I don’t want something for nothing the Tech team charged me a bit more than I found out they were worth so I don’t mind not paying them …..for a little bit lol.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Even though Webroot does expire one I things I love about the product is they dont disable the protection. They trust you will renew it and they would rather you stay protected for nothing in the short term as they dont want the bad actors to win. 

Userlevel 2

OH crap ….now I have to feel guilty lol.  It would have been nice if the support company (I liked their employees they knew what they were doing) but it seemed they just had me download the Web Root added me to their own account and called it tech support.  I will give WR a call after a little bit of procrastination.  Thanks everyone...one more question as a whole and in general WR is a good service right?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

OH crap ….now I have to feel guilty lol.  It would have been nice if the support company (I liked their employees they knew what they were doing) but it seemed they just had me download the Web Root added me to their own account and called it tech support.  I will give WR a call after a little bit of procrastination.  Thanks everyone...one more question as a whole and in general WR is a good service right?

I think most of the users in this forum are a bit bias (it is a Webroot forum after all,) but I personally really like Webroot and recommend it to family and friends who ask for suggestions. I will let you do decide from there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As said before, WR is a great product. I think all products have their ‘quirks’. If everything just worked all the time, a lot of us would be out of a job!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes we maybe a little biased but I stand by the reasons I made the recommendation to the MSP as our go forward AV. 

Userlevel 2

Being a member of WR you all of course will be biased however if you were unhappy you would be biased in the other direction.  Thanks again for all your help I feel obligated to actually sign up but need to check out what products would be best for me.  Keep up the good fight everyone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

This Topic was selected randomly for a YETI COOLER → congrats to @stlshark You win

Everyone else here wins Webroot Complete 1yr 5 devices keycodes!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This Topic was selected randomly for a YETI COOLER → congrats to @stlshark You win

Everyone else here wins Webroot Complete 1yr 5 devices keycodes!

Oh wow! That is awesome. Not only do I rarely win, but I don’t think I have ever been lucky enough to win something this nice. Thanks @TylerM !

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Congrats. That is a great product. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We’ll done @stlshark that looks really cool!