Not a big poster, slow but happy to be here:D

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Hi denis!
Great to have you pop in and say hello!

:DIts really easy to be confortable here so hope to see you more often! Just enjoy the Forum whenever!;)

Have a nice day denis!!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Welcome to the community denis!

Very nice to have you here!!

Browse around and enjoy!

Beth
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Denis nice to see you here from Wilders and Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Enjoy your stay,

Daniel 😉 TH
Userlevel 6
Hi Denis and welcome to the Webroot community!

You'll notice that this Place here is quite unique 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi Denis...as Daniel says...nice to see you here coming over from Wilders.

You will find a lot of familiar usernames over here.

Look forward to jawing with you, again.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hello denis

to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi denis and Welcome!  As the saying goes, "The more the merrier!"  Stick around and enjoy the show! 😉
Userlevel 7
Hello Denis. Welcome to the Community where everyday is a new learning experience. I hope to see you here more often. 🙂
good morning everyone , im a rookie but want to learn, thanks for having me.  Lets get to it , istart123 , also known as QUICKSTART.  Comes on when i click on internet explorer. Im unable to remove from my uninstall programs.  Geek Squad wants 200.00 chickens to come out and deal with this infection that is causing my brandnew HP 500-314pc. to run slow.  Can you help ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
good morning everyone , im a rookie but want to learn, thanks for having me.  Lets get to it , istart123 , also known as QUICKSTART.  Comes on when i click on internet explorer. Im unable to remove from my uninstall programs.  Geek Squad wants 200.00 chickens to come out and deal with this infection that is causing my brandnew HP 500-314pc. to run slow.  Can you help ?
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

This is a PUA and not really an infection can you please follow these instructions to remove it? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks-KB/How-to-Remove-Potentially-Unwanted-Applications/ta-p/40744 and please let us know if you get it removed if not we will give you other instructions.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well the next step would be to Submit a Support Ticket and they will be able to help you remove it for free!

More info as well:

What you are seeing and describing sounds like it may be what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application.) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' into your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not dedect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be dectected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's.  You may also want to submite a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.

To make sure that your WSA is checking for PUA's with the best proficiently, it sometimes helps to reset the PUA detection within WSA's settings. For PUA's that had previously been scanned and determined to be OK, but have since been added to detection/removal, you may want to complete the following steps:

• Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
  • Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
  • Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
  • Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
  • Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button
  • Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected.
To help avoid PUA's in the future, remember to read all of the information when installing or updating software (Adobe downloads often have those "extra special offers"attatched... PUA'S!: often the PUA included will be mentioned, and you can opt out of installing it.  Those check boxes you see? Usually only one of them is for the User Agreement of the software you want, the others are for the junk you don't.

I hope this helps you both understand, and resolve the problem and if not please let us know!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Welcome to the community javylynx!

Great to have you here!

In addition to TripleHelix's explanation of PUA's, istart123 is a PUA. It changes your homepage, effects shortcuts so your browser will open to the istart123 homepage where you see Quick Start. It has malicious behaviour. 

You mentioned that you just purchased an HP computer. There is an HP program called Quick Start. The program has an icon in the start menu and maybe the taskbar.

If you do decide to remove istart yourself, when following the instructions in the link from TripleHelix, the program you want to remove is istart123 uninstall or just istart123.

Also, with istart123, a folder is created called Sup Tab in C:Program Files or C:Program Files (x86). That file needs to be deleted and then removed from the Recycle Bin as well. 

Please let us know how you are doing with this and come back often and share your experiences.

Beth
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Welcome javylynx to the WSA Community Forum!:DGreat to have you here! Please browse around and enjoy this Forum!

Sorry you are having problems! It looks like TripleHelix is handling this issue.

Please let us know how you are doing or if you require more help!

For we are Volunteers helping in whatever way we can! So don't be shy!

Salute'

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ Search Google: "istart123 , also known as QUICKSTART" without the quotes.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ Search Google: "istart123 , also known as QUICKSTART" without the quotes.
Yes and mentioned
"In addition to TripleHelix's explanation of PUA's, istart123 is a PUA. It changes your homepage, effects shortcuts so your browser will open to the istart123 homepage where you see Quick Start. "

istart123 is also known as QUICKSTART as that is what is seen as shown below.

In addition to HP, OpenOffice also has a program called QUICKSTART.EXE.

The Hp program should appear as HPQuickstart.exe , but may be listed as Quickstart.exe but will show it is an HP program
Feel free to Google HP QuickStart.

Search Google istart "iStart123.com belong to Polypower Technology Co.,Limited,it is a global internet company with the goal of delivering leading edge information search solutions coupled with quality customer support." 

search Google istart123 uninstall from programs and features, The name of the program which appears in Programs and Features is istart123 uninstall as shown in the image below