get rid of goovoria search engine?

• 9 December 2014
  • 3 replies

how can i get rid of goovoria search? It appears each time i turn on my pc and slows it down, i have tried unsuccessfully

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello marigold55,

Welcome to the Community!

Groovorio Search is a browser hijacker, which is promoted via other free downloads, and once installed it will change your browser homepage and default search engine to hroovorio.com, and install the Groovorio Toolbar.

The Groovorio.com homepage will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results, and may collect search terms from your search queries. The Groovorio Search hijack is used to boost advertising revenue, as in the use of blackhat SEO, to inflate a site’s page ranking in search results.

Please follow these instructions below, but remember you can issue a Support Ticket free of charge.

What you are seeing and describing is what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application)These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

The best thing to do is to submit a Trouble Ticket and ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

Also, we have had a lot of discussion regarding these recently, and I have posted an Idea for Webroot to consider asking them to increase PUA detection.  The more  users that need help removing a particular PUA the more likely and faster that PUA will be added to detection.

Hope this helps! Let us know how things are going won't you so that we may help others as well!

Thanks!
Hi Sherry, I seem to have the same problem except with Astromenda.com - some other search engine. It opens up when I open Google Chrome, but NOT Internet Explorer. I have no clue how to delete it from my laptop. Thanks. miminjx14
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello miminjx14,

Welcome to the Community,

Astromenda.com it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program

If you are not an Advanced User I am going to strongly suggest you allow Webroot Support to help you remove it by submitting a Trouble Ticket.  I have taken a look at this specific PUA, and it does seem to be a bit more complex than many average users would want to tackle on their own,

Potentially Unwanted Application)These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

The best thing to do is to submit a Trouble Ticket and ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

Also, we have had a lot of discussion regarding these recently, and I have posted an Idea for Webroot to consider asking them to increase PUA detection.  The more  users that need help removing a particular PUA the more likely and faster that PUA will be added to detection.
  Regards,