Hello everyone, i'm Papi and i'm new here

• 25 October 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
i've just migrating from win xp to win7. usually i use mse & malwarebyte for my protection. Now that i'm using win7 i start to experience difficulties on choosing the best AV. I want to use a powerfull yet light AV. Actually i've try using webroot when i'm still using win xp. i like the lay out and easy to use. i still using mse right now just for back up in case something wrong. i still learn to use webroot on daily basis. Now i'm using 180 days trial, its a great option to compare and also experience wether i'm going to upgrade or not.

Maybe u guys can give suggestions on how to maximize the usefulness of this av :D

i'm sorry in advance if i ask too many silly question. :8

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Papi, welcome to the Webroot Community!

We are a pretty friendly bunch here and enjoy helping other users.  Personally I think the only silly question is the one not asked: If you have a question, it is silly not to ask it.  :)

WSA is compatible with other AV's, so as you have seen it will work in conjuction with MSE, but my own opinion is that MSE is one of the worst solutions.  You can probably just turn it off, but of course we will wait to see what the others here say about that :)

In order to help give some suggestions, it would help to know exactly which version you have installed on that trial.

WSA-Antivirus
WSA-Gamers Editiion
WSA-Internet Security Plus
WSA-Complete

Best Buy Subscription Software Version

While the core AV ability of WSA is the same on all versions, there are of course additional features as you move up from WSA-AV to WSA-Complete.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the warmth welcome David,

i've just realise that i forgot to mention which WSA i'm using :p
currently right now i'm using WSA-Antivirus version 8.0.4.131
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks for the warmth welcome David,

i've just realise that i forgot to mention which WSA i'm using :p
currently right now i'm using WSA-Antivirus version 8.0.4.131
With the WSA-AV you do not have some of the neat features like Password Manager or System Optimizer, but there are still a few things you can do to get the most out of the software.

Of course be ready to do a bit of reading.  It sounds like you have used a few other AV's in the past, and are probably familiar with doing a little bit of "tweaking" to get the most out of it.  The best place to start, if you have not done so, is simply go into the Advanced Settings and pick through there with a fine tooth comb LOL.

For the most part though, really the default settings are pretty much right in line with what most users, even advanced ones, will find works best.  It certainly does not hurt to check though, as you will learn a bit along the way.

If your computer is not shared, you are the only one using it, one change I really suggest is to turn off that annoying "CAPTCHA" that is required when making changes.  That is the first thing I do when I do a fresh install LOL!  You will find that in Advanced Settings, Access Control.  If you are worried about security of the WSA settings, you can set a Password.  I find a password is far easier and quicker to deal with than a CAPTCHA.

Personally, I also change the default setting of hiding the scan screen during scheduled scans.  I just like to know that it fired correctly, and see the progress.  Scan are fast, only taking a minute or so, so I do not find it annoying to have to watch it.  

One thing to know is that if you watch the stats of number of threats removed, that is not a PER SCAN total.  That is the total number of threats removed since you installed the software.  This counter can be reset back to zero any time you want though.
  • Click the 'gear tool' next to Utilities, 
  • Click the Reports tab
  • Click the View Statistics button
  • Click the RESET button

I hope this helps a little bit 🙂  Ask ANY questions you have... we like questions here, that is why we are here!  If I can't answer a question we do have a lot of good people here who can also throw some input in as well.

Userlevel 7
Papi, 

As you probably know, there are often applications that are very annoying and can slow down your computer, but are not actually malware.  This can include various browser toolbars, etc etc.  Around there we call them PUA's.  Webroot detects and removes many but not all.  It is a complicated issue.

Once you have read through my previous reply, if you really want some really in depth information regarding PUA's, let us know.  Just ask for our "Canned Reply PUA's".  Warning: it is LONG, but you will learn a lot 🙂
Userlevel 1
it seems i'm on the right track David, thanks to you. i have set to my liking some of the option on the advance setting before i post a topic on the forum. 😃 and i'm glad i have choose the right choice such as; CAPTCHA 😉 i prefer set a password instead. In the scan setting, i choose to uncheck the detect PUA button. but i put it on again now coz WSA just detect :apps hat-bho.dll

I have reason to do this; i used to download & try many different apps just to know what it is. i know there is a sandbox environtment that i can use those apps on utilities setting. i haven't try it yet.

speaking on PUA's, YES i would like to know more about it. could you tell me more about "Canned Reply PUA's"

Thanks in advance,
PAPIoke

Userlevel 7
On that detect PUA option, we generally strongly advise that you keep that checked.  Again, WSA does not detect them all, and the additional PUA info will explain that more.

I have not actually used the Sandbox... I hate to admit that LOL.  I keep meaning to try it out, but I so very rarely download or install new software that I just have not had need of it.

@ can probably give you more information about using the Sandbox than I can.

OK... you asked for it so here it comes LOL!  This is not an all inclusive end all explaination of PUA's, but it does give a good bit of info regarding them.  Some of us who are very active on the Community have put together a few "Canned Replies" that are just what the name implies: ready to use copy/paste replies for common questions.  Being copy/paste, they do not address every specific sitauation, but when we can use them it saves a LOT of tying LOL.

--------  Canned Reply PUA's --------

What you are seeing and describing sounds like it may be what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application)These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's. You may also want to submit a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer at no extra charge, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.

To make sure that your WSA is checking for PUA's with the best proficiently, it sometimes helps to reset the PUA detection within WSA's settings. For PUA's that had previously been scanned and determined to be OK, but have since been added to detection/removal, you may want to complete the following steps:

• Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
  • Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
  • Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
  • Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
  • Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button
  • Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected.
To help avoid PUA's in the future, remember to read all of the information when installing or updating software (Adobe downloads often have those "extra special offers"attached... PUA'S!: often the PUA included will be mentioned, and you can opt out of installing it.  Those check boxes you see? Usually only one of them is for the User Agreement of the software you want, the others are for the junk you don't.

I hope this helps you both understand, and resolve the problem and if not please let us know!

NOTE: As noted above, PUA's that:

• Come in with other downloads
  • Have a clear opt out ability prior to install

are often NOT detected and removed.  This is partly for legal reasons: the source of the download can complain about it's extra software being blocked automatically by Webroot.  There may be ways to allow WSA to recognize and block a LOT more PUA's than it currently can.  Please see THIS IDEA for more information, and give a KUDO if you agree.  User Idea requests are noted by the Webroot Team, and the more Kudo's on an Idea the more likely we may see dev time devoted to it.

Userlevel 7
I do not why I have not mentioned this already, quite silly of me.  Look at the top of the page and find the box/link for "LEARN Tribal Knowledge Base"

This is a pretty good source of information about WSA and how to use it.  Do note that some of the articles are becoming a bit dated and need updating, but they still are close enough at the moment.   🙂