Hello peeps, am new here & am need of help & thought I had it fixed with the Geek Squad.. :-(

• 5 November 2013
  • 6 replies

I took my Samsung in that needed a new hard drive. I had the geeks replace it, I thought they were going to give it back to me with all of the info from my old hard drive on the new one but ummm.. no.. that didn't happen.. so I'm sitting here on my laptop with the backup info that was done on my WD External Hard drive in June.. I already tried restoring it but it didn't seem to work.. I don't know what the freak to do.. All of my Office, etc. programs are on the WD & there's nothing on my laptop.. I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.. :-(  Can someone please steer me in the right direction.. pls... someone..  anyone.. ?:$
Thank you

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hello @ welcome to the forums.
What program are you using to restore the files? Where are you going in the program to try to restore the data?
Userlevel 7
Hello Peaceout2U and welcome to the Webroot Community!

I am not an expert in the procedures that would be taken by the GeekSquad when a repair is done, but I do believe that there is a difference between hardware replacement (replacing the hard drive) and data backup (attempt to save the data on the failed hard drive, often just not possible or you would not have had to replace it to begin with) and software installation (Putting all the programs onto the new hard drive).  Each of these would be considered a different service as many people cannot replace the hard drive, but they are fully comfortable with re-installing the software onto the new drive.

As for recovering the data from your external, is that backup a FULL backup (a mirror image of the hard drive) or is it the more common data only (Your Documents only)?  I do not use an external backup drive, but I do know that sometimes they require drivers to be installed prior to use, and you may need to re-install your programs if your backup is data only.

Userlevel 7
To answer Explainoits original question: as far as I know yes, every time a computer is brought into repair data backup services are offered, but that is a separate service and not covered by the protection plan or hard drive replacement.  

If your hard drive replacement was done under either manufacture warranty OR through Geek Squad Protection plan, that usually covers the physical hard drive itself, and maybe the operating system: all other software is not covered by the hardware protection plan.  

Installation of other software is covered by a different service called Geek Squad Tech Support, and if you also have that you may be able to bring the laptop back to the store to have them help out with that.  Do note though, as far as I know data backup and recovery (such as restoring your data from the external drive) is probably not covered as it is not really a part of software support that the Tech Support covers.  Installation of programs is, but recovering the data for those programs would not be.

Probably the best thing for you to do would be to call 1800-GEEK-SQUAD and speak to them directly to find out:
exactly what done
exactly what plans you have
what options you have for further assistance
Hi, I'm using the Restore in my Windows 7 Control Panel trying to restore the programs & files from the full backup that I did before the horrifying evilness of the bluescreen appearance when my hard drive crashed..
Hello to you and thank you for your replies. The Geeks are awesome guys & when I took my laptop in I had mentioned to them that I didn't care what it took, that I needed the hard drive replaced & that I had backed up all of the data onto another disk but thatI have my Office programs, etc also that I don't want to lose. They reassured me things would be ok... Then, my husband got involved & picked up the laptop without knowing what really needed to be done, which made things WORSE!! SO now, I have a laptop with nothing but wifi.. JOY.. so I have several options I'm guessing.. It is a Full backup of the whole thing.. The dog gone thing took almost 2 days to do.. that little sucker i packed full of data.. lol

I just don't know what I need to do..Should I just take it back to get them to put it on? I don't know. Now I'm kinda leary because of potential problems mentioned.. It very well could be something along the lines that made it crash in the firstplace.  I don't want that back on my hard drive again.. The laptop was brand new and hadn't had it a year and all of a sudden BAM, that happens... errrrr 

I didn't think it'd take this much effort in trying to get this accomplished so boy was I wrong.. Thank you again for taking the time out to give me ideas.. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.. 🙂 It's actually just really great in chatting with someone about it..Who can have alittle sympathy on my not being all that computer savvy.. 

Thank you again.. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Go ahead and give the geeks a call, and they can talk about the situation and go over all the options you have.  

As for being sympathetic to someone who is not very computer savvy: ALL of us started off not knowing anything about computers, and it is good for us to all remember how we felt when we were not to computer savvy ourselves.  In other words: it's our pleasure :)

Please let us know how it turns out!