Solved

Hi Everyone, I am Abby and need some help! :)

My computer has been invaded..Taken over!

When I try to save changes, such as not allowing 'non-administrators' permission to modify configuration options etc.. When I go to save, I get this WONDERFUL message stating "Although your settings will be saved locally, your PC is currently centrally managed by the Web Console and your settings may be overwritten on the next database communication."

Hey! This is NOT me! And I do NOT know what to do here as I have tried so many things and am COMPLETELY LOST!

Anyone out there willing to give Abby the 411 on this so I can be done with this nasty hacker??
icon

Best answer by Abby648 22 April 2013, 03:41

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
This is why Webroot has the best support in the business. Look at all of the replies in such a short time!

Welcome to the forums. I don't have to tell you that is you even need assistance, just ask. You can see that for yourself now!

😃
Userlevel 7
Hello Abby and welcome to the Webroot Community!

As you already experienced, this web is full of nice members who always are trying their utmost to help others. :D
Userlevel 7
Hello Abby and welcome to the community. Not to worry. Absolutely no eye rolling here in the community. Just ask and get your confusions cleared. As you've already realized members here are very friendly and are always there to help members in need. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Please, don't feel embarrassed. We are happy to help new Community members and feel free to become more active!  😃
You are all very nice and quite forgiving of one who sometimes 'just doesn't get it'.
I will definitely stop back.. If you promise not to roll your eyes when you see my questions :)

Have a very nice evening,
Abby
Userlevel 7
We are here to help, so if you need any other help please let us know!
Userlevel 7
Also, there are no other computers showing up on the back-end of your account, just yours. 😃
Thank you all very much for your time and assistance. I am not so very sure I did what I needed to do, but you provided me very useful information. Thank you again!
~Abby
Userlevel 7
@DavidP wrote:
TripleHelix, 

I forgot that part... Thank you!!

Abby, 

The online Account might not be hacked or someone else changing it, there are certain defaults at which it is set when you first activate your account, but you can change them as shown in the area we described to you.  The purpose of the settings in the Online Account is to help make sure that the Webroot software on your computer cannot have it's settings changed by someone else you allow to use your computer: it helps keep the computer and the Webroot software itself secure.

I hope I answered that right,

Hello Abby - I agree with David and I do not think your online account has been hacked. However, if you do notice any other signs of intrusion you can feel free to use our technical support & advanced malware removal, which is free for our customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If MikeR is still around he can look into your My Webroot Account and sort it out for you.

TH
Userlevel 7
TripleHelix, 

I forgot that part... Thank you!!

Abby, 

The online Account might not be hacked or someone else changing it, there are certain defaults at which it is set when you first activate your account, but you can change them as shown in the area we described to you.  The purpose of the settings in the Online Account is to help make sure that the Webroot software on your computer cannot have it's settings changed by someone else you allow to use your computer: it helps keep the computer and the Webroot software itself secure.

I hope I answered that right,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Abby have a look at this Online Help file.

EDIT: Abby it seems you think you are being Hacked it's highly unlikely but to see it's best to unplug your Router for a minute and plug it back in and please report back.

TH
Thank you very much for your time helping with this. My last question...

I do not want any other device that was originally set up with this (a laptop) linking with me any longer. Is this something I would not be able to do- as you may have noticed, I am quite ignorant with anything pertaining to computer security. Additionally, I have a wireless router embedded in this desktop. This person is in my desktop how?? And what you advised initially--will it kick him out- as he is doing this from a remote location.  
Userlevel 7
Abby ,

Did you log into the online Account manager?  The PC Security tab within the software on your computer does not have what we are looking for.  Click THIS LINK https://my.webrootanywhere.com/default.aspx to get to the Account log in.

It is the PC Security area in that online Account manager that has what you are looking for.
I have clicked on PC Security and looked around  but do not see anything about other 'computers'. I must be looking in the wrong area?
Userlevel 7
Hello Abby, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Abby and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

I see David has you covered even with pictures for easy configurations. ;)

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello Abby and welcome to the Webroot Community!

It is actually the settings for your Account that cause this.  Go to the Account portal and sign in.   Once logged in, go to PC Security.and then click on the computer that you need to change settings for.

You should get a screen that looks like this:

You want to review the bottom setting, as this is probably the culprit.  There are a few different sets of default settings, and if you are wanting to save settings that are outside of the usual default(s), you can choose User Configuration.

Here is a screen of what the different settings levels are:

I hope this helps!