Hi Everyone. I'm Marshall and have a question.

• 4 March 2014
  • 6 replies

Webroot found this threat on my Home PC. 

Pua.Goobzo

I like to verify threats before removing them, so I normally do a web search to find more information before allowing anything to be removed.

I cannot find anything about the threat above. How do I find more information about this threat. Can I find out why it was determined to be a threat? 

Thanks.

Marshall

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello marshallcy and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!
Pua - Potentially Unwanted Applications
A PUA (Potentially Unwanted Application) is a program that may be unwanted, but was installed with user consent. PUAs commonly include toolbars, cleaners, and search plugins. They are often bundled together with other software a user intended to install. They are not harmful in the same way as malware, but can be a hindrance.

http://www.brightcloud.com/tools/url-ip-lookup.php
These are generally benign sites, but have exhibited some characteristics that suggest security risk. There is some probability that the user will be exposed to malicious links or payloads.

Additionally
Webroot's position on PUA 
&
How to Remove Potentially Unwanted Applications
Thank you
Best regard, Petr.

Userlevel 7
Hi Marshall

And may I add my welcome to you to the Community Forums...:D

Petrovic is quite correct with regard to the information that he has provided you.  However, what I find is that in some case (and this is not one of them) the source, i.e., company and therefore website related to the PUA cannot be derived by its name alone.

Therefore I generally Google the PUA name; in this case PUA.Goobzo, to see what lies behind it.  In this case it reveals (from one particular site found) the following "The application iwebar-firefoxinstaller.exe by Goobzo has been detected as adware by 20 anti-malware scanners. It runs as a scheduled task under the Windows Task Scheduler triggered to execute each time a user logs in." 

In addition, this sort of site provides further technical information that may be of interest to you...as you said "I like to verify threats before removing them".

Well, hope that helps a little bit more? ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Marshall and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums! 

I see you're in good hands and yes PUA's are a pain most times and of course Unwanted see this Blog for more info: http://filedennis.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/goobzo-youtube-accelerator-removal-instructions/comment-page-1/

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello @ 

If you have not discovered yet, it does not take long to get an answer here! Welcome to the forums!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Welcome Marshall, this question helps alot of us newbies and frequent users. Like the forum saids post back with your outcome of this issue of Pua Goobzo. So we are informed too. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi @  was your question answered just checking up!

Daniel