Hi I'm new

• 20 April 2012
  • 2 replies

Hi, I have been using webroot for a few years now, and I'm wondering right now if anyone else gets the fake anti-virus software boxes that say you have a virus. I get one for Windows Security Essentials wanting to scan my computer I don't have that so know it is a fake. . Webroot does not pick them up. I'll do a scan, deep, quick and full and nothing comes up. I know this is an introduction forum...I'm old don't know much about pc's, but I have tried to keep on top of the virus, malware spyware thing by having the webroot. For the most part I don't worry, and only once a virus got through with Webroot...and that was probably my fault. These fake virus software things are a pain in the rear and I would expect Webroot to catch them but they aren't. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much, Lola

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi, I have been using webroot for a few years now, and I'm wondering right now if anyone else gets the fake anti-virus software boxes that say you have a virus. I get one for Windows Security Essentials wanting to scan my computer I don't have that so know it is a fake. . Webroot does not pick them up. I'll do a scan, deep, quick and full and nothing comes up. I know this is an introduction forum...I'm old don't know much about pc's, but I have tried to keep on top of the virus, malware spyware thing by having the webroot. For the most part I don't worry, and only once a virus got through with Webroot...and that was probably my fault. These fake virus software things are a pain in the rear and I would expect Webroot to catch them but they aren't. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much, Lola
Hello lola521,

Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

The best thing to do is Submit a Support Ticket so that support can help you clean this infection up and get you on your way! The thing about Fake Anti-Viruses most don't show sign's of malicious activity and all Anti-Viruses have a hard time to detect them and then when they are detected they just change a bit of the code for it not to be detected again and then it goes on and on! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software good article here also: http://blog.webroot.com/2012/01/18/how-malware-authors-evade-antivirus-detection/

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello Lola, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃