Solved

Hi, I'm new to forums and...

I'm curious as to the extent of WRAC's ancillary features such as disk cleanup & such, if there are any - I can't seem to find a really simple yet comprehensive list of all the WRAC features. Also, how well does the program work if I lose my network connection?
Thanks,
Ben
icon

Best answer by ben13 14 July 2013, 22:10

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Ben and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums. ;)

Here is a link to the Online Help File which should answer your question but if not please reply back!

TH
Thanks for the info. What I'd really like to know is if there's a registry cleaner in WSAC, and if not what folks might recommend for that - I haven't found one I much care for except Norton, and with WR doing the AV job, NU would be overkill. Also I didn't see an answer to how effective WR is without an internet connection.

Thanks,
BR
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks for the info. What I'd really like to know is if there's a registry cleaner in WSAC, and if not what folks might recommend for that - I haven't found one I much care for except Norton, and with WR doing the AV job, NU would be overkill. Also I didn't see an answer to how effective WR is without an internet connection.

Thanks,
BR
Hi Ben and welcome to the Webroot Community!

Webroot does not have a registry cleaner.  They believe in doing one basic thing, antimalware/security and doing it well and fast without being bloated.  I will let some of the others give an answer as to what registry cleaner they reccomend, but I will state that one should always use caution when using them.  Registry cleaners DO sometimes find things that they shouldn't and can cause damage to the system.  That is simply my own humble opinion on the matter and it most certainly not shared by everyone.

As for how effective is it without an internet connection?  To be quite blunt it is just as effective as any other anti malware solution, it just does it differently.  Webroot has strong heuristic scan ability, and also has the ability to rollback in the event something was missed and caused a problem.  

Any executable file that Webroot encounters that it does not recognize while not connected is 'tagged' so that when connection does become available it will querry the Cloud for more information regarding it.

ALL av solutions require internet access.  Period.  Without it, traditional definition based solutions do not get the needed definition updates.  Without it, Webroot does not have the chance to do that check with the Cloud on unknown files.  Absence of an internet connection for a day or two is not generally critical, but anything longer than that will render any and all av solutions essentially out of date.  Many solutions will actually turn "yellow" or "red" if there has been no connection at all for a few days or more to warn you that you need to get connected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Nicely said David and I agree with you Registry Cleaners can do more damage than good and I don't and will never use them. And Webroot does protect the LSP chain to keep the internet active so you are very well protected. ;)

HTH,

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Hello Ben and welcome to the Community where everyday is a new learning experience.:)

Best Wishes,
Amit
Userlevel 7
Hello Ben, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D
So how does one remove the detritus out of one's registry? Or is that unnecessary? Thanks.

BR
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
So how does one remove the detritus out of one's registry? Or is that unnecessary? Thanks.

BR
How needed it is depends on how you use your computer.  The more you uninstall software and install new software the more likely you will benefit from clearing it out.

There are a number of trusted programs that do deal with cleaning it, but I prefer not to reccomend one directly.  Do remember though, and this is my own opinion only, that it is often a good idea to opt for 'manual' cleaning instead of automatic.  In other words, set the registry scanner to allow you to verify the removal of keys before they are wiped out.  While damage is rare, when it does happen it can be bad.

Perhaps another member here feels more comfortable giving an actual reccomdation for a utility.

EDIT

I changed my mind.. there is one program that I have used in the past without problem, but again always use with care.  CCleaner is generally well rated by its users.

/EDIT
Thanks for the info, and yes I've heard that CCleaner is a decent tool for that job. I will however take the advice that I've heard here & be careful in using such a program - thanks again.

BR
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks for the info, and yes I've heard that CCleaner is a decent tool for that job. I will however take the advice that I've heard here & be careful in using such a program - thanks again.

BR
Any time!  

Grab a chair and stick around.. this is a good place to learn more and have fun 🙂