How can Webroot keep unwanted Windows 8.1 from automatically downloading and screwing up my computer

• 29 March 2015
  • 1 reply

I am a college teacher.  I cannot afford to have my computer infected. I like Webroot better than anything else I have tried. Can Webroot keep the Windows 8.1 from automatically downloading my computer?  

1 reply

Userlevel 7
HI rgrazia1

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Now that is a strange question (if you do not mind me saying so).

Firstly, the answer to your question is 'No', that is not something that WSA can do.  The only way to do that is (and I am assumming that you are using Win 8 currently) is to put Windows Update to 'Update Notification' so that you are notified when updates are available and can select to install or not, check each update that Windows Update then notifies you of, and make sure that you uncheck/do not check the Win8.1 update that is offered.

I have heard that Microsoft has released an update (KB3008273) for Win 8 which allows automatic upgrade to Win 8.1, and once this update is installed, your computer is automatically updated to Win 8.1.  There is also a pre-requisite update (KB2871389) to be aware of.

So as and when you see these two updates make sure they are unchecked and then if you are really sure that you do not want to upgrade you should right-click on theses update, select the 'Hide Update' option, & as a result you should no longer receive them or the Win 8.1 update in future.

Having said all of that I am surprised that you are not already auto updated to Win 8.1 as this update was released quite a while ago?  And also, I personally believe that Win 8.1 is superior to Win 8 and also personally cannot see why one would not want Win 8.1 (in my book it is the release that Win should have been in the first place...but that is just me...I suppose).

Anyway, do let us know what you decide/do.

Regards, Baldrick