How often can I scan my computer?

• 24 December 2014
  • 8 replies

How often can I scan my computer as it is running slow?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
How often can I scan my computer as it is running slow?
Hello @ 
Welcome to the Community Froum,

EDITED
There is no limit to running scans whether the comupter is running slow or fast...and  when did  you first started noticing a slow down?

Can you be more specific to certain types of activity that you are doing on the computer?

A  slow computer can be due to numerous things. We need to narrow this down actually.

Here's some information go to our User Guide scanning for malware,

One more thing I'd do is clean my cache (history) and cookies from my browser. Link provided below

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en

If you still are having problems with your computer running slow or have other questions please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Userlevel 7
If I may, I would like to add one idea to this.

Do this if your computer has become noticable slower very recently. If your computer has a light that shows hard drive activity (some have a light that lights up when the hard drive is in use) take a look at that light. It if is on nearly constantly or if your CPU fan seems to be running a lot harder than normal, please create a support ticket here and let a Webroot expert have a look at your computer to make sure that you do not have anything strange going on (like powerliks). You probably don't, but better safe than sorry. 

Sherry,

Thank you for replying to my question...  Here are answers to your questions:

I noticed my computer running slow about two weeks ago and this is only when I am playing free internet games, such as Mahjong, Word Games, etc.

I clean the history and cookies browser every other day.

I hope you can help or maybe it is just the games on the internet.

Have a nice holiday!  

Thanks, Irene
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ IreneLevy wrote:
Sherry,

Thank you for replying to my question...  Here are answers to your questions:

I noticed my computer running slow about two weeks ago and this is only when I am playing free internet games, such as Mahjong, Word Games, etc.

I clean the history and cookies browser every other day.

I hope you can help or maybe it is just the games on the internet.

Have a nice holiday!  

Thanks, Irene
Hi Irene, 

Can you tell me if you have WildTanget in your Programs?This program can download games in the background  If this started when you were playing games it could be installing adware or avertisement salong with the free games.
If it was me I would uninstall those games and see if that resolves the problem. Nothing is free these days.

If this doesn't fix your issues please let us know. And we do have alternative solutions for you.

Happy Holidays to you too. Thank you!
Sherry,

I searched my programs and I do not have "WildTanget".

Irene

P.S. Should I uninstall all my internet games?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Sherry,

I searched my programs and I do not have "WildTanget".

Irene

P.S. Should I uninstall all my internet games?
Hello Irene,

Great that you don't have WildTangent. That program usually is on a HP computer.

Yes I would uninstall those free games to see if your computer prefroms better. You could always install them back but the best games are ones that you buy without adware and such

. I love Majhong myself so I bought the games at Walmart. Target, Best Buy whereever! When you install free games, it adds to much junk with them.

So it's up to you really but that would be my first step to se if this helps out any. Uninstalling these games will show you if their the culprit of this computer running slow.

Please get back to us if this doesn't help.

Best Regards,

Sherry,

Thank you so much for your advice.  I will do as you suggested and delete the free downloads and buy the games at Walmart, etc. 

Have a wonderful Holiday!

Irene
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Irene,

Thanks for lertting us know!:D

Remember to get back to us if this doesn't fix your computer issue and then we can try something else.

Your Welcome and Happy Holidays Again!