Solved

Howdy! New Webroot user here!

Userlevel 6
Hi!

I am a brand new Webroot member who just left her Norton antivirus behind.  Being probably the LEAST tech savvy person on the planet didn't help me much, but when they couldn't help get the product to work right I was done. 

I had gotten some advice from people I trust that Webroot was the way to go so I made th switch but I see alot of differences in the way Webroot scans and how much it scans vs. the way Norton would do a full system scan.

I guess you could say that while I'm unsavvy in the tech world, I do have alot of questions because I just need to make sense of things in the way they run for my own peace of mind.

Since the support crew isn't available over the weekends I thought I'd get my feet wet by posting here to see how others like Webroot and if they had used Norton before if they had also noticed the differences that I do.

Anyway, hello again and thanks for perusing my note!

icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 17 June 2014, 05:05

View original

73 replies

Userlevel 7
Well said, Nic...well said, David. http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sHa_clap2.gif
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Hi gr8aunttefie

There is no such thing as a pointless question in my book.  If in doubt then ask.  That is what I do and that is how I learn (and one is never too old to do that...even me). ;)

As for you being a rube...rubbish.  Don't do yourself down.  And as for technology...it is no different to anything else that has to be learnt...and for that patience is required.

Ask away all the questions you want...we will be pleased to try and answer them for you...that is what makes this Community so great...and a great place to learn. :D

Regards

Baldrick
Thanks, Baldrick! :D

I want to learn, and I am an old dog, so learning comes slowly because I learn best by doing and being able to refer to notes, so having a chat board like this where I can refer to the chats and get information for a 'cheat sheet' so to speak, it helps me to feel more confident trying to navigate and learn on my laptop.

I had a freak out the other day because I accidentally unpinned my IE icon from my taskbar and couldn't figure out how to get it back, and I cannot stand using the Windows tiles for Explorer.

That should tell you just how unfamiliar with tech things I am, and how I should make use of my touchpad lock more often!!! ;)

Anyway, thanks so much for the kindness and encouragement. 

It means alot to this ol' girl! 😃
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
I agree with @ - if you're savvy enough to post on here asking for help and learning, then you are already head and shoulders above most!
Thanks, Nic! :D

I feel pretty smug right now because I just figured out how to do that quote thingy you all have been doing in here! :D

Makes it feel alot more like a true conversation when you have the comment and the reply all in once place!

I like to chat with folks because I am a night owl and my friends are usually sound asleep when I'm wide awake and in 'Chatty Cathy' mode.

This has been great for 2 reasons, so thank you all!
Userlevel 7
That is the way to do it and the attitude to take when doing it...you will get there quicker than you may expect if you look at things that way.

And as we have said before...don't hesistate to ask away...there is no question too small or topic of discussion on WSA (in this forum at least) that is too mundane.

Look forward to seeing you around a lot.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 6
@DavidP1970 wrote:
None of us was 'born knowing it', we have just been able to take more time in trying to learn it.

I agree 100% with Baldrick and Nic: The Commumity exists just because a majority of computer users DON'T know how to do many things 'technical', but those of us who do very much enjoy helping out. 

Feel free to ask away :)
Hi, David! :D

While you're quite right, I do think that some people have a facility for tech things right off the bat and are able to absorb and process tech information faster and better than others, and I would definitely put myself in the latter category. :womanembarrassed:

Once I have learned something, my mind is a bit like a steel trap, I keep it in there and then changing it up when something new comes along becomes the next challenge, but if the change makes sense to me it's easier for me to absorb and adapt to it rather than something out of left field that doesn't make seem to make sense.

I hope you gents don't come to regret your carte blanch invitation to drop questions....  I will definintly abuse... :S er, I mean use the invitation! 😃
Userlevel 7
We mean, in full, and no worries.  The good thing is that if I am not available one day, Baldrick might be, or Nic, or Daniel, etc.  We will help as much as we can. 

If it was ONE person trying to answer each and every question that would just not work.  But that isn't the case, we have great TEAMWORK here and enjoy 'working' with each other.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yep, we have a great team here.  And if there is anything we can't answer then I can ping the folks here at Webroot for extra help.  You'll also see some of our threat researchers and support folks posting in here as well.
Userlevel 6
Hi, everybody!

I was just wondering if you all knew how long it takes from the time you order your back up disk to the time it gets to you?  I was just wondering because i haven't gotten mine yet and I didn't know if there were a couple of days for processing before it ships out or how that goes.

What ws your experience?

Thanks and I hope everybody had an outstanding weekend!  : )
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well you don't really need the Back Up Disc as you can use this link to Download the lastest version anytime: http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsainstall.exe and if you have setup your online console the link is in there also!

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
To add to what Daniel said, 

The back-up disk, in my opinion, is only of real use to re-install WSA when there is no internet connection available, such as when doing emergency computer repairs when 'out in the field'.  While WSA works "in the Cloud", it does have strong detection abilities when no internet connection is present.

Unlike traditional AV's, in which the main program may be rather large and and thus a long install download and for which a disk may make install easier, WSA is just that little file, under 1 mb, no matter what.  Using the disk to install will not remove the need of a download as it will automatically download amd install the current version as soon as there is an internet connection available.  Usually that process is so fast that I do not even see it happening when I am looking for it.

Userlevel 6
@DavidP1970 wrote:

The back-up disk, in my opinion, is only of real use to re-install WSA when there is no internet connection available, such as when doing emergency computer repairs when 'out in the field'.  While WSA works "in the Cloud", it does have strong detection abilities when no internet connection is present.

Unlike traditional AV's, in which the main program may be rather large and and thus a long install download and for which a disk may make install easier, WSA is just that little file, under 1 mb, no matter what.  Using the disk to install will not remove the need of a download as it will automatically download amd install the current version as soon as there is an internet connection available.  Usually that process is so fast that I do not even see it happening when I am looking for it.

Thanks
@DavidP1970 wrote:

That's pretty much what I thought about the disc, but I did pay for it so I wanted to make sure I had it so that I could tuck it away in case of emergency.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello gr8auntteffie,

I just want to Clarify what David said. You can't install WSA without an Internet connection as it has to connect to the Cloud to check to see if your Keycode is valid and it downloads extra files at the same time like for the Password Manager & Back Up & Sync and a few database files so the CD would not be any help even if you had the Downloaded file on the PC yes you should get the CD as you asked for it but on a Clean reinstall I would always suggest to download the latest build as it's only a 745kb file and when installing from the CD it will always look for the most recent Build before installing again it needs an Internet Connection and as I said it's only a 745kb file and when it self updates to the next version it's done in a flash of an eye so I hope that Clarifies Things for you?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
I was under the incorrect impression that it would install in a demo mode, and enable the Offline Protection modules.  I am sorry for the error!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No worries David all is good!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Hello gr8auntteffie,

I just want to Clarify what David said. You can't install WSA without an Internet connection as it has to connect to the Cloud to check to see if your Keycode is valid and it downloads extra files at the same time like for the Password Manager & Back Up & Sync and a few database files so the CD would not be any help even if you had the Downloaded file on the PC yes you should get the CD as you asked for it but on a Clean reinstall I would always suggest to download the latest build as it's only a 745kb file and when installing from the CD it will always look for the most recent Build before installing again it needs an Internet Connection and as I said it's only a 745kb file and when it self updates to the next version it's done in a flash of an eye so I hope that Clarifies Things for you?

Thanks,

Daniel ;)
I figured that the most effective way to install the program was downloading it since it was such a compact program at the beginning, but since the purchase also had a disk for $9.99, I figured that was in case of emergencies or something. 

I just wanted to make sure that the disk was on its way so that when it arrived I could tuck it away with my back up disks for my computer and the other program disks that i have loaded onto my laptop.

Thanks to both of you for being so thorough in your explanations.  It helps a remedial techie like me to understand this 'stuff'!

Stephanie:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You're very welcome Stephanie that's what we are here for if you have any further questions about anything just post in one of the appropriate forums for your product. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-for-Home/ct-p/Products

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Welcome! You're gonna like webroot becuase it's lean and mean and doesn't gobble up RAM like some other's I've tested 😉
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Welcome! You're gonna like webroot becuase it's lean and mean and doesn't gobble up RAM like some other's I've tested ;-)
Thanks! :D

I am still amazed at how fast the scans are and how few files it needs to check to make sure my system is safe! :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Eeeyup. Full scans are much faster than some others I've tested as well.
Userlevel 7
A good tip, for even faster scan times: If you have WSA-Complete, run the System Optimizer prior to scanning, especially after completing Windows or other Software updates and installs, or heavy web browsing.  That will help get rid of junk temp files, etc etc etc.

:)

Ok, admittedly the time saved on scanning IS used on running the Optimizer, for that scan.  If you do daily scans it will help keep them as fast as possible the next day 🙂
Userlevel 6
@DavidP1970 wrote:
A good tip, for even faster scan times: If you have WSA-Complete, run the System Optimizer prior to scanning, especially after completing Windows or other Software updates and installs, or heavy web browsing.  That will help get rid of junk temp files, etc etc etc.

:)

Ok, admittedly the time saved on scanning IS used on running the Optimizer, for that scan.  If you do daily scans it will help keep them as fast as possible the next day :)
Hi, David!

I generally run scans when I have been on line awhile and then after I log off to make sure that all the cooties have been repelled or coralled.

I do run the optimizer once a week as was suggested, I think by you, but I am not sure if it gets rid of the cookies that build up as I browse various sites like Amazon and others.

Still, I am amazed at how quick the scan is, and I believe that it is a full scan and not one of the 'quick' surface scans.

It's awesome! 😃
Userlevel 7
Once a week on the Optimizer should be quite fine.  That is about how often I do, and I make sure to run it after going through Patch Tuesday!  (The Tuesday every month when Microsoft, and often others, issue patches.)
Userlevel 7
@DavidP1970 wrote:
Yeah.. pretty cool isnt it??  I came to the Community 18 months ago to ask a question... I stayed, I learned, and you see what happened LOL.  I am a junkie helping other now  :)
In the daytime I'm Mr Natural; Just as healthy as I can be
But at night I'm a junk food junkie; Good lord have pity on me — Larry Groce