I have another program to protect from internet threats,

• 5 November 2015
  • 3 replies

I have another program to protect from internet threats, [EDITED per Community Guidelines] I use it several times a day and it always picks up 300 to 1500 cookies.  I rarely visit more than a half dozen web sites.  Where do all these cookies come from?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there, 

WSA-Complete also can remove those cookies via the System Optimizer.  Quite handy and does a VERY good job.

As to where the cookies come from, remember that not only does a single web site often place multiple cookies, but any ads on the web sites you visit also usually will place cookies as well.  They add up mighty fast!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If you use a plugin like Privacy Badger or Ghostery, it will show you that each site you visit can install from 5 to 20 cookies, for different tracker programs that try and track you around the web so they can show you targetted advertising.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ wrote:
Hello there, 

WSA-Complete also can remove those cookies via the System Optimizer.  Quite handy and does a VERY good job.

As to where the cookies come from, remember that not only does a single web site often place multiple cookies, but any ads on the web sites you visit also usually will place cookies as well.  They add up mighty fast!

Secure Anywhere does a more then good job. I can be a bit lazier again now i'm sure my machine's protected by Secure Anywhere.
I just schedule the optimize to run frequently and i nearly don't have to look at it anymore.