I'm new and desperate ..Help Please

I have a Samsung laptop  I have had Webroot on it since I bought it last year.  It started running slow so I cleaned up everything and downloaded off of the factory installed Icon on my desktop,  " SW updates"  It had like 10 updates and as it was downloading it emptied my folders on my desktop and threw thumbnails   of  everything all over the screen and now I have one dotted line across the bottom of my screen that just now turned into two dotted lines!  Any idea on what is going on, I have ran a webroot scan...comes back graphic ram is low but nothing else. Thanks for any help I am technologically illiterate.

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Deertracker and welcome to the Webroot Community!

Can you tell us your issue as you left your post empty?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
I realized I left post empty the minute I sent it UGGH! So I sent a new one. Are you a moderator if so can you just delete my first post? Thank you so much.
Userlevel 6
Dont worry about it. You can actually delete it yourself. To the right of your post you will see Options, click on that and choose delete.

So what are your specs and could you please give us some more detail on the issue?
Userlevel 7
Hi Deertracker

Welcome to the Community Forums.

It sounds to me like you graphics card/processor may well have a problem.  Is the device still under warranty or do you have an extended warranty?  If so then I would contSamsung dire tly and see if they can advise on this.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Sounds like you may have downloaded some of the Samsung apps. Do you have a backup? You can try a system restore, there should be a restore point for when you dowloaded the SWupdates
@ wrote:
I have a Samsung laptop  I have had Webroot on it since I bought it last year.  It started running slow so I cleaned up everything and downloaded off of the factory installed Icon on my desktop,  " SW updates"  It had like 10 updates and as it was downloading it emptied my folders on my desktop and threw thumbnails   of  everything all over the screen and now I have one dotted line across the bottom of my screen that just now turned into two dotted lines!  Any idea on what is going on, I have ran a webroot scan...comes back graphic ram is low but nothing else. Thanks for any help I am technologically illiterate.

I dont know exactly what you need but it is a Samsung model #NP300ESC  Windows 8 Intel Pentium CPU B980 @ 240 GHz
4.00GB RAM  64 bit x64 processor.
Everything was fine until I downdoaded the SW Icon off of the pre installed icons on the desktop.
Userlevel 6
Are you running Windows 8? Have you upgraded to Windows 8.1?

One of the SWupdates is for Windows 8.1. Are you using your laptop now or another device?
Userlevel 6
BTW: I believe th model # NP300E5c
Yes I am on the Samsung...although I have access to another computer if I need it...  I am running Win. 8.1
Userlevel 6
OK, so what is on your screen now? What does your desktop look like?
I only have the option to edit, no delete option 😞
Userlevel 6
The post is not a problem. A moderator can delete it if you can not.

What does your desktop look like now? Have you restarted your computer?
The desktop is in the background running my pictures on a slide show as normal but the background behind my icons is black, about two inches from the bottom I now have 3 dotted lines in varying degrees of boldness going horizontal across the screen this morning was only 1 then there were two now 3, the bottom two are so close you can hardly tell if it is one or two and then there is a gap of maybe 1/8 " and there is the 3rd one
Yes I re started it and you are correct on the model #
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Is it possible for you to take picture with your phone and upload it?  It would help us to be able to see what you are looking at.
can I unistall the SW stuff if I can find them in the programs? or is that asking for more trouble?
Userlevel 6
Sounds like your setting changed. I suggest 1st  backup your files. You can use windows File History: Restart your computer. If the problem is still there, do a restore to the time before you did the SWupdates. Stick to the Microsoft updates. Samsung has a lot of apps that some refer to as "bloatware" 

and as @ suggested, picture would help. If you do not know how to find the programs, I wouldn't go that route yet.

Check back and let us know if the issue persists. As @  suggested, you may want to contact Samsung on this issue. 

Uggh no extended warrenty just 2 months over expiration of warranty, thank you as a last resort I will take it in..just got it back from Best Buy 6 weeks ago..in for check up!
Userlevel 6
Sorry about the warranty. Maybe you wont need service. Try a restart and/or a restore. Backup your files 1st!

Do you have a subscription to Best Buy tech support? If so they can help you.

Let us know what happens.
I have been trying for this entire time to find a way to dend these pictures! I have an iphone(hopefully not for long ) and I tried emailing it to my self and opening the email on my computer and then attaching the picture to this post but it keeps coming back "invalid format or invalid file type" I'm about ready to give up!
Userlevel 6
@ @ , can you give him some suggestions? 

Where are you getting the message, in your email or when you try to post here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I have been trying for this entire time to find a way to dend these pictures! I have an iphone(hopefully not for long ) and I tried emailing it to my self and opening the email on my computer and then attaching the picture to this post but it keeps coming back "invalid format or invalid file type" I'm about ready to give up!
Hello Deertracker,  please see here you will be able to post pictures when you reach Community Guide and Video's when one has reached Expert Advisor! https://community.webroot.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/VIP_Program#.Uv0SGIXDt_d

But we are happy to have you here in the WSA Community Forum..please look around and get confortable because we have a great group of members here ready to assist!!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello,

Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA? Please follow the following steps:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for all of the following steps
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

Please let us know if that corrects your issue? If not then we will look at alternative avenues to try and solve this for you.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
I get the message when I try to send the pics of my screen that were taken with my iphone when I try to post them here in a reply. (and I am a her but my tag is because, I am an avid big game hunter) ;~)
Userlevel 6
Thanks Sherry.

Nic had asked him to take pictures and post them. I can post pictures using the insert/edit button and have been able to.