I'm new and desperate ..Help Please

I have a Samsung laptop  I have had Webroot on it since I bought it last year.  It started running slow so I cleaned up everything and downloaded off of the factory installed Icon on my desktop,  " SW updates"  It had like 10 updates and as it was downloading it emptied my folders on my desktop and threw thumbnails   of  everything all over the screen and now I have one dotted line across the bottom of my screen that just now turned into two dotted lines!  Any idea on what is going on, I have ran a webroot scan...comes back graphic ram is low but nothing else. Thanks for any help I am technologically illiterate.

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I get the message when I try to send the pics of my screen that were taken with my iphone when I try to post them here in a reply. (and I am a her but my tag is because, I am an avid big game hunter) ;~)
You will not be able to upload pictures that we could see anyways so try what I asked above and if that doesn't correct your issue then you will have to Submit a Support Ticket and they will be happy to sort out your issues!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
I get the message when I try to send the pics of my screen that were taken with my iphone when I try to post them here in a reply. (and I am a her but my tag is because, I am an avid big game hunter) ;~)
Sorry!
AS for the pictures, it could be the file type. Have you done a restore?
try re- installing WSA by following the instructions @ gave you

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ you have PM's waiting!

Thanks,

Daniel
Ok Daniel, I am going to grab a cup of coffee and back up my files, send the hubby and kids to bed and follow your steps EXACTLY!  Thank you so much for everyones help.  Without WEBROOT what's a gal to do in an emergency?!?!  I will let you know how it turns out!  You have all been extremely considerate!  I hope I can learn to help people!  :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Ok Daniel, I am going to grab a cup of coffee and back up my files, send the hubby and kids to bed and follow your steps EXACTLY!  Thank you so much for everyones help.  Without WEBROOT what's a gal to do in an emergency?!?!  I will let you know how it turns out!  You have all been extremely considerate!  I hope I can learn to help people!  :)

In time you will so stick around!

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 6
@ , how did it go? Please let us know.  We are here to help and learn from eachother.
There is a wealth of information here in the community, so come back often, browse around and post!

As @ said "
In time you will so stick around!

Daniel :D
@ wrote: 
Thank you so much for everyones help.  Without WEBROOT what's a gal to do in an emergency?!?!  I will let you know how it turns out!  You have all been extremely considerate!  I hope I can learn to help people!  :)

Hi Deertracker....I am new and desperate as well, but I dont think the calvary is coming anytime soon.  What a disappointment WEBROOT has turned out to be.  Had GEEKS on call install it on my PC after they "highly recommended" it.  After 5 months the viruses returned....worse than ever!  Why?  Subscription expired...after 5 months!?    Went back to Geeks who said it was a WEBROOT problem...not them.  Called WEBROOT and the wait is 45 minutes for a rep!!!  Tried the website...ignored.
 When I try to scan to remove the viruses...it simply tells me the subscription is expired and gives me a "buy now" option.  I decided to bite the bullet and shell out another 30 something dollars for something I just paid for a few months back...another problem...could not get through to buy another.   I can hardly use my computer for the viruses...lucky I got through to this.  I'm of to try another company other than GEEKS on call and WEBROOT.  I understand things can happen, but to be ignored like this....what a disappointment. 
Userlevel 7
Hello angedar, welcome to the Webroot Community!

I understand your frustration, and sometimes there is a bit of a delay when calling in just as there is when calling any company.  Let me 'ping' the Community Manager here and see if there is anything he can do to help.  (I am a volunteer here and not Webroot staff, but we are pretty good at getting things looked at here :)  )

Also, if you want to communicate with Webroot Support without having to wait on hold, you can submit a  Trouble Ticket  It may take a few hours for them to get to you, but the online ticketing system is open 24/7.

@ Can you follow up with this user and any trouble ticket filed to see what is going on with her subscription?  Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello agendar. So sorry for your issues..please be patient and will get this sorted...Thanks David.
Userlevel 6
Welcome to the community @ !

So sorry to hear you are having this issue. 
Please do keep us updated and come back often!
I am redgistered and why am I not reconized

My problem is my PC screen turns off and on. I scan it  and eventually it stops. My screen is OK. I suspect a virus
From time to time my PC screen turns off and on. There is nothing wron with screen. I run a scan and eventually it stops. Has anyone else had this problem? could it be a virus that pops up now and then?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
From time to time my PC screen turns off and on. There is nothing wron with screen. I run a scan and eventually it stops. Has anyone else had this problem? could it be a virus that pops up now and then?
Welcome polishproud to the Community Forum.
I haven't heard of this issue before with a monitor screen turning on and off.

So you might be experiencing a PUA. Please try to follow these instructions!
What you are seeing and describing sounds like it may be what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application.) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's. You may also want to submit a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer at no extra charge, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.

To make sure that your WSA is checking for PUA's with the best proficiently, it sometimes helps to reset the PUA detection within WSA's settings. For PUA's that had previously been scanned and determined to be OK, but have since been added to detection/removal, you may want to complete the following steps:

• Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
  • Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
  • Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
  • Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
  • Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button
  • Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected.
To help avoid PUA's in the future, remember to read all of the information when installing or updating software (Adobe downloads often have those "extra special offers"attached... PUA'S!: often the PUA included will be mentioned, and you can opt out of installing it.  Those check boxes you see? Usually only one of them is for the User Agreement of the software you want, the others are for the junk you don't.

I hope this helps you both understand, and resolve the problem and if not please let us know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

To add to what Sherry posted have a look here to see if this started after the latest Windows Update last Tuesday just a thought? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Microsoft-Security-Bulletin-Re-Releases-Issued-August-15-2014/td-p/140097

Thanks,

Daniel 😉