I was under the impression that webroot would stop pop ups.

• 31 August 2014
  • 7 replies

I am deepsees, I just got this software a day or so.  I was under the impression that webroot was to stop pop ups.  I was in yahoo email and had a "windows PC alert" that windows wanted to do a scan... because there were issues.  "yes or no" to the scan.. I picked no.  The screen pops open and starts the scan... I lost my email letter I was writing.  It does it every time I am in yahoo email.  

Never happened before while I was using Norton.

Deepsees

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Webroot Secure Anywhere has no browser pop-up blocker, if a pop-up has malicious content it will block it but its not designed to stop ad pop-ups. If your using a browser like Chrome or Firefox I would install a free pop-up blocker to stop these. 
@ wrote:
Webroot Secure Anywhere has no browser pop-up blocker, if a pop-up has malicious content it will block it but its not designed to stop ad pop-ups. If your using a browser like Chrome or Firefox I would install a free pop-up blocker to stop these. 
Interesting response. But Roy, if an app, pop-up or whatever starts a process (a "scan") contrary to indeed explicitly against user's instructions and in doing so actually deletes a mail that the user is in the process of writing (which is what the OP claims is happening), is that not a malicious action?? Can you possibly clarify a bit further on this, as I'd personally be somewhat miffed if my AV (WSA of course!) allowed such behaviour (not that, in my case, it ever has).
Userlevel 7
If a browser drops an executable which is then executed (very common attack path) it will be monitored and will be looked at by WSA in the normal method (checked against the cloud). This is all after the website that drops the malware has been checked of course in our database! So it may not even get this far.

As for your example it very specific as it would have to know the exact layout of the webpage and be able to replicate user inputs and then push the delete buttons on the webpage. Its not like a keylogger or a phishing site where they replace a specific webpage. Each users mailbox is going to be different too. Its alot of effort for little outcome for the malware author its more an old skool piece of malware designed to annoy than anything else.

@ wrote:
If a browser drops an executable which is then executed (very common attack path) it will be monitored and will be looked at by WSA in the normal method (checked against the cloud). This is all after the website that drops the malware has been checked of course in our database! So it may not even get this far.

As for your example it very specific as it would have to know the exact layout of the webpage and be able to replicate user inputs and then push the delete buttons on the webpage. Its not like a keylogger or a phishing site where they replace a specific webpage. Each users mailbox is going to be different too. Its alot of effort for little outcome for the malware author its more an old skool piece of malware designed to annoy than anything else.

Yes, but it's not my example, it's the OP's example, and s/he claims it's deleting her/his mail each time. Does that not make it malicious?

Btw thank for the rapid response :D

EDIT: Reading the OP's post again, it's not quite so clear as I thought. Do they lose their mail every time this happens, or was it just this latest time, and was it because the "scan" programme aborted the mail or was it something else that happened? Whatever the case, it's certainly very annoying for the OP.
Userlevel 7
Its not so clear cut, I know sometimes Outlook webmail sometimes jumps back to the main screen on me sometimes. I think its just a site issue but its annoying is isnt malicious. My guess would be its a plugin thats causing this, I dont use Yahoo mail so I am not really familiar with it. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Was this an actually pop up or an ad? Did it come from your taskbar? If so then you most likely have a malware infection. If it was an actually ad on a webpage then that is not the job for any antivirus to block. Using a 3rd party browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox is a better choice. Add an ad blocker to either one and you would not have seen this add. Norton does not block ads by default. Never has. Malicious webpages yes via Norton Safe Web. 
We don't care to hear about other security vendors in the WEBROOT Community as they like to help there own users and members with any issues!

TH 😠
Userlevel 7
I second Daniels point also, take your issue to the vendor you are using. This website is dedicated to Webroot only and issues involving Webroot software.