Solved

MS SURFACE 2

• 27 February 2014
  • 12 replies

Best Buy Geek Squad tells me I don't need AV on the Surface 2 I just bought.  They say the OS isn't important enough for hackers to be interested in and there's not enought Surface 2 out there to be worth the hackers time.  Can I put Webroot on my Surface 2 and do I need it?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 27 February 2014, 18:23

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello last_to_know and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Is it a Surface RT or Pro?

Thanks,

Daniel
RT
SURFACE 2 RT
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Then you can only use Windows Defender that's built in as they don't allow other AV's to Run on RT if it was Surface Pro then you could install Webroot SecureAnywhere. iPad is the same but they should allow other AV's to run on Surface, Surface 2 and iPad, iPhone, Windows phone as we are finding that they are not as secure as they thought but at least the RT has Windows Defender.

HTH,

Daniel 😉
So I don't have to do anything? Windows Defender is already installed and working? That's scary!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes it is here is more info: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_rt-security/do-i-need-any-antivirus-software-for-my-windows/b1d710eb-f7db-4fc9-90d5-2be4abc06575

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
How do you liek the Surface so far? I was thinking about getting one.
Userlevel 7
Hi Corey, I would recomemnd that you also consider the Dell Venue Pro range (I have the 8 Pro and am loving it), or the similar offerings from Acer (Iconia W4, I believe).  I think that as for bang for buck they beat the Surface offerings hands down.

And by the way....steer clear of Windows 8 RT...IMHO...and go for a tablet with full Win8.1...there are rumours that RT will be merged with Phone 8 at some point, and so will disappear as we know it today.

Just my twopennies worth...for what they are worth. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Corey, I would recomemnd that you also consider the Dell Venue Pro range (I have the 8 Pro and am loving it), or the similar offerings from Asus (Iconia W4, I believe).  I think that as for bang for buck they beat the Surface offerings hands down.

And by the way....steer clear of Windows 8 RT...IMHO...and go for a tablet with full Win8.1...there are rumours that RT will be merged with Phone 8 at some point, and so will disappear as we know it today.

Just my twopennies worth...for what they are worth. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
I agree stay away from RT go Pro version!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
I also have a Dell Venue Pro 8 and its a great little device, full fat windows 8.1 so I can do all the stuff that you cant do on a apple device. Cheap too!

Userlevel 7
Thank you very much for the info!
Userlevel 7
Ah, Roy, I see that you are a man with taste and an eye for a great bargain...an excellent choice even if I am biased...;)

BTW, am thinking of getting a BT keyboard...which one do you use/which one would you recommend?
i just got a security cleaner pro rogue malware on my surface 1 pro. the people at best buy also said what ur saying about all tablets. if they didnt hack you yet they will.