mutiple virus software on one pc

• 23 June 2014
  • 9 replies

Hi everyone I'm new to WINDOWS 8 and WEBROOT. My ? is can you have 2 virus programs running simultaneous on one PC. Thank you your help would be greatly appreciated

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello and Welcome poppymine123, you ask:

Hi everyone I'm new to WINDOWS 8 and WEBROOT. My ? is can you have 2 virus programs running simultaneous on one PC. Thank you your help would be greatly appreciated
--------------------------------
Yes you can but can I ask you which one you want to use for really WSA is all you need?

Read this: At Webroot, we'll let you know you up front that you don't have to run WSA alongside another anti-virus program, but we're proud to have the technology to be able to run alongside other anti-virus programs. This way if you choose to double down on your anti-virus protection, you won't end up in a situation in which our program and some other anti-virus program bicker over who quarantines what and when, which could easily result in a situation where neither program quarantines anything. WSA anticipates the behavior of other anti-virus solutions and allows them to go first. If they do nothing or not enough, then WSA steps in.

Let us know what you are running so that we can answer this question promptly for you and again Welcome to our Webroot Community Forum!

Thank you,
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello  poppymine123 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

The choice is yours. Webroot SecureAnywhere can either replace or work alongside your
existing antivirus software.
Webroot SecureAnywhere is fully compatible with other mainstream antivirus products and
will work alongside any existing antivirus software to detect and remove any threats it
misses, and to protect your financial and personal information.
You will not be asked to uninstall your existing antivirus when installing Webroot
SecureAnywhere

Thank you
Petr.
Userlevel 7
Welcome to the Webroot Community poppymine123!
@ wrote:
Webroot SecureAnywhere is fully compatible with other mainstream antivirus products and
will work alongside any existing antivirus software to detect and remove any threats it
misses, and to protect your financial and personal information.
Although there are different schoools of thought out there (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/1-in-windows-8-pro-can-i-run-both-windows-defender/1dee666c-2b2b-418d-9f44-84249b8fb0ee) I have both Windows Defender and Webroot running (and working) side by side and have not encountered any problems.
Userlevel 7
Guys

That is not entirely true, I am sad to say.  Whilst that is the intent and Webroot have worked harder than any other producer IMHO to make this the case itis only 98% true, as there is currently an incompatibility between WSA & BitDefender (you can check this out here).

So whilst WIndows Defender and WSA have no know issues one still does need to be careful...and ask...are both required when WSA should do the necessary by itself.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Welcome to the community Poppymine123!

I agree with Baldrick on this. When I first began using WSA, I was running it along with Windows Defender. I did so after reading up on it on Webroot. After a couple months I stopped using Windows Defender. I found it not necessary and I had less updating and downloading. Best practice is to always check first.

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Firstly, several antiviruses acting simultaneously mean inevitable system resource conflicts. Each of the antiviruses seek to gain control over a long list of operations: establishing network connection, writing files, and alike, thus, ‘arguing’ over Windows functions they get in each other’s way. The consequences may vary: from slowing down the system to making it absolutely inoperable or even knocking down both antiviruses, which is, well, bad. 

Moreover, there are frequent cases of one antivirus detecting the competing antivirus’ files as infected. It is not done on purpose; it boils down to the fact that any antivirus carries out a lot of ‘suspicious’ (from other antiviruses’ point of view) activities, like controlling other applications. Actually, antivirus files are safe, and all AV developers try to keep false positives down, but at times white lists are not complete enough.
Userlevel 7
WSA is built different and so the 'traditional rules' may not apply.  Please refer to this KB Article for more information.
Userlevel 7
I second what Baldrick has stated......WSA covers it all ...... I am running WSA on my PC and I have no problems to date. I can understand layering is a important aspect of security....but.....IMHO WSA is all you need.
Userlevel 7
I agree.  There is a difference between a NEED or the ABILITY.  WSA is ABLE (in most situations) to run with other AV solutions, but there is generally no NEED to do so in my opinion.