Solved

New and have a question-

• 17 August 2013
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 1
Should Windows Security Center Service be turned off after WEBROOT install?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 20 August 2013, 00:37

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello WRT2013 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums! 

There is no need to do anything with Windows Security Center Service as it will show Webroot SecureAnywhere protecting your PC in the Anti-Virus & Spyware protection just make sure you have Windows firewall on or a thrid party firewall to get full protection please See Here. May I ask what OS you are using?

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I was thinking that maybe you were asking about Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender in Vista or Win 7 or even the New Windows Defender which is a full Anti-Malware in Windows 8 so if that's the case that would be up to you WSA will work with any of them and if you are using Win 8 you will have to uncheck this box in the picture below to run both. Now do you need to run any of them with WSA I would recommend No. WSA works perfectly on it's own you will be well protected. Please have a look at this video to see how WSA deals with an unknown infection. Just make sure you have Windows Firewall on or a third party firewall to get full protection.

Cheers,

TH

Userlevel 1
 I've reviewed the video link, thank you.  I am running Windows 7.  When I started in Safe Mode today I had a warning that Windows Security Center Services was turned off and that I should turn it on, however, it would not let me.  Then I read Windows Security Center Services is know Action Center.  I did a recovery and the restored from a backup which probably has a bunch of old files, registry entries, etc in the wrong place or that I don't need anymore.  Just don't know enough to determine if I have a problem or not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
 I've reviewed the video link, thank you.  I am running Windows 7.  When I started in Safe Mode today I had a warning that Windows Security Center Services was turned off and that I should turn it on, however, it would not let me.  Then I read Windows Security Center Services is know Action Center.  I did a recovery and the restored from a backup which probably has a bunch of old files, registry entries, etc in the wrong place or that I don't need anymore.  Just don't know enough to determine if I have a problem or not.
Try this fix From Microsoft if you continue to have that problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519899

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ I was just wondering if you still need further assistance?

Regards,

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@   Just to add this tidbit that I over looked. Security Center does not run in Safe Mode as I just checked so unless you have that error in Standard Operating mode there is nothing wrong.

HTH,

TH  ;)

Userlevel 1
Thank you for the followup.  I tried the link provided.  I did not back up the registry because I was not able to follow the details provided by MS Windows.  I have attached here images of  what happened as I tried the steps provided in the MS instructions.   At this point, I am considering backing up EVERYTHING, reformatting my hard drive,  restoring from the Acer hidden backup and reinstalling only what I

want.  Before i do this, can you offer any additional assistance?
Userlevel 1
Just saw your last post. So looks like the fix created a problem.
Help please.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@   Do the fix again in normal mode to get the service running again and reboot and then let us know if it works.

TH

• Windows 7 and Windows Vista[list=1]
  • Click Start.
  • In the Start search box, type services.
  • In the Programs list, click Services.

[/list]In the details pane, right-click (or tap and hold) Security Center, and then tap or click Properties.

http://support.microsoft.com/Library/Images/2692660.png

1. In the Startup type list, tap or click Automatic (Delayed Start). [img]http://support.microsoft.com/Library/Images/2692661.png[/img]
  2. In the Service Status area, tap or click Start.
  3. If the service starts successfully, tap or click Apply, tap or click OK, and then close the Services window.
Userlevel 7
Hello,

We have a tool that may fix this. Please download the following program and run it. If it detects any broken services just hit next and reboot when asked. Should fix this issue.

http://download.webroot.com/wsvcscan.exe
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sounds great Roy I await the results!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
I followed your last instructions but the problem continued.  I went ahead and did a Window's restore  This seems to have resolved the problem.  I'm not sure if Roy's .exe would have resolved the issue but I did go ahead and run it.  No problems were found.   It still boggles my mind that Windows gives me an error in safe mode when there is none!  Thanks for seeking a solution, I only wish I could have tested Roy's .exe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I followed your last instructions but the problem continued.  I went ahead and did a Window's restore  This seems to have resolved the problem.  I'm not sure if Roy's .exe would have resolved the issue but I did go ahead and run it.  No problems were found.   It still boggles my mind that Windows gives me an error in safe mode when there is none!  Thanks for seeking a solution, I only wish I could have tested Roy's .exe.
Not a problem if it happens again try Roy's tool and thanks for your reply!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
I go by a rule and its Windows is always lying to me 🙂 A system restore would fix this issue alright its not a bad option to fall back on.
Userlevel 1
Hi Roy.  I thought I would provide some history after I ran the wsvcscan.exe. you provided.    Don't know if this is relevant feedback or not but here you go.  After logging in this morning (Windows 7), when I opened Outlook I had a pop-up telling me Windows Search Engine was disabled.  After reviewing options online I decided to try the "user friendly approach" first.

I went to Control Panel/Programs and Features and clicked on "Turn Windows Features On/Off" in the pane to the left and unchecked Windows Search.  A restart is required.  I then went back in and turned on Windows Search.  Outlook no longer sends me a popup with "Windows Search Engine disabled....." but when the machine restarted the first time my background image disappeared and after I turned Windows Search back on I had to reset my background image as well. 

Your thoughts?
Thanks again.
Hi, everyone. I am new to Windows 8 as just getting used to new laptop with "8". After installing Webroot, when I receive an email with a link to a video, the video is blocked except for the sound. How do I view the video?
Also, I notice the video came from youtube, so I went cirect to youtube and the videos are blocked on that site. What can be done so I can view the videos?
Userlevel 7
Hello BudRowe and welcome to the Webroot Community!

What do you mean exactly by saying blocked videos? Did you receive Webroot Blocked Navigation with "This website has been reported unsafe"? If so, it does mean the new Web shield struck and blocked the page/videos. If you think it is a false positive, please submit a support ticket and they will verify the site and if everything's alright they will unblock (whitelist) the site.
I open "youtube" site, click on a video to view, start the video, then the video screen is filled with vertical lines. A small tab in the upper right corner of video appears. The tap reads'Blocked" I move the curser on the tab, then "Click here ro block this object with Ablock Plus" appears. I right click on the tab then: Open link in new tab; open link to new window; open link to new private window; Bookmark this link; save link as--; copy link location; inspect element; login to Webroot; comes up

Userlevel 7
Hmmm, it's strange to me. It might be some conflict between AdBlock and Web or Identity shield. Can you try to disable the both shields to see if the problem persists or you can shut down WSA completely?
I left clicked on the "Block" tab. A pop up came with a block field, checked, and a field which seem to mean unblock. So, clecked on the unblock field. Went to video which showed a solid green and the "block" tab gone, but still no video.
Userlevel 7
Hi BudRowe - Have you tried another browser? And have you opened a support ticket?
Userlevel 7
OK, provided that you have tested it with WSA and/or its shields disabled thus confirming tha the issue is on WSA side, please open a support ticket as I already suggested to let engineers collect logs from your system and to start troubleshoot your issue.
I am new to Webroot and this first time contacting webroot. Will contact my tech support at the store I purchased the laptop. If I need more support will be back, thank you.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I am new to Webroot and this first time contacting webroot. Will contact my tech support at the store I purchased the laptop. If I need more support will be back, thank you.
You don't need. Just open a support ticket and you're done.