New community member and I have a problem

• 12 April 2014
  • 8 replies

Hi, my name is Bill and have used Webroot for several years.  Recently I installed Ninite Updater and during one of its initial checks I think I had Webroot block its attempt to update.  I was able to undo that at the time but have forgotten what I did.  Now I can only briefly shut down the firewall to allow it to update and then turn the firewall back on.  I guess I need to know what I did before and how to deal with this in the future.  Did I mention I am 62?
Thanks, love the product,
Bill (40wnks)

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello Bill, and you are very welcome!

Although I haven't used the updater you mention, I believe you should have a look at these two Help pages, and make sure it's not being blocked.
 Webroot Secure Anywhere Context Help

Webroot Secure Anywhere Context Help

HTH, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the tips, I have performed them both.  Changed them both to allow and it still will not allow the updater to connect unless I drop the firewall briefly.
Bill (40wnks)
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Make sure it's allowed in Windows Firewall, if necessary: Allow a program to communicate through Windows Firewall - Microsoft Windows Help
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Welcome to the community 40wnks. Sorry you are having problems. Maybe a support ticket can be issued for this or an uninstall/ reinstall. Hopefully @ or @ or @ could assist you in the morning or tomorrow. But just the same don't give up because we will find a solution...

Great to have you here,

Sherry
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Dermont7, great to have you helping 40wnks..

Regards,

Sherry
Userlevel 7
Hi Bill (40wnks)

Welcome to the Community Forums...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sBo_bouncing.gif

As Dermot has rightly suggested the first place to look for the 'issue' that you appear to have is in one of 3 areas in WSA, and this is were confusion can occur as blocking of apps in these are for different reasons/based on different criteria.  

To help you clarify these/provide a little bit more information to support what Dermot has already provided please also review this KB article on the difference in these areas.

Once you have done that please post back to let us know if these have been of any help and that you issue is resolve, or with more infomation about the issue so that we can continue to try to assist you.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick

PS.   You are not the only one in that 'senior' age bracket 😉...so you are in good company. 
I have looked over the mentioned article.  The latter two were covered by previous posts but the first one pertaining to PC Security was new to me.  I checked and it is set to monitor now, I had it earlier to allow.  Identity and Privacy is set to protect, and System tools have been set to monitor.  This is all in reference to how "Niniteupdater.exe" is treated.  It is one of the startup programs and tries to check for needed updates during the initial boot up sequence.  That is when  get the error that no connection with the server can be made.  If I drop Webroot's firewall, let it try to connect, it does so, then I put the firewall back up. 
Thanks for your help,
Bill (40wnks)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Bill and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

At this point I would suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket as it could be a simple thing as getting some of those files Whitelisted in the Cloud.

Cheers,

Daniel 😉