New here and I have a question

• 21 August 2016
  • 1 reply

First I want to say hello.

I am an all thunbs person when it comes to digital technology and will admit that i had hoped to reach retirement before the tech boom fully took hold.

Obviously that didn't happen, now i am an old geezer just trying to hang on until I can retire and get out of the next generations way.

I think i have a virus in my computer and that Webroot is missing. Particularly on Yahoo the page often freezes up and i can do nothing. If i try to use the comments section the thing really goes screwy andnit freezes up and sometimes i cannot even move the screen and the cursor acts like the entire screen is a link, but it doesn't click anything.

I have used the scanner and optimization features of my Webroot but it doesn't seem to help.

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what i should do? My two year subscrition runs out after Feb 10 2017.

1 reply

Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

What you're describing sound like it could be any number of things, actually. There could be a problem with the computer itself, like a failing hard drive, or memory issues. Or it could be related to your browser no longer functioning properly. If you have Webroot running I don't necessarily think you have a virus, but you might have picked up some unwanted applications inadvertently that could cause problems too. We refer to these as Potentially Unwanted Applications, or PUA's.

PUAs are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-ups, redirect your browser home page, and other behaviour that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools. But they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

The key to avoiding them is to make sure that when downloading apps one does so from the author's own website or one that they have recommended, and not 3rd party downloading site.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behaviour that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

If you feel or consider yourself technically proficient then you can try these steps to remove it from your system.

However, if that does not work or you do not feel technically capable then the best thing to do is to Open a Support Ticket & ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

Sorry for all of the info. Just not really sure what the issue is here. The easiest thing to do would be to open the support ticket. They can at least let you know whether or not you have any malware on your computer and then you can proceed to determine if there aren't other issues causing this.

Hope this info helps,

BD