New Key Code assigned to existing account

• 8 April 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

Just purchased computer and WR Anywhere at Best Buy.  Best Buy installed the product and I can see the product, key code, serial number and all kinds of other information.  But when I go to create my account, it tells me the key code is already assigned to an existing account.  Submitted support ticket(s) - and that was useless as days before hearing from them -- called support and that was useless also as rep offered no help and said my email address was not on the account for my keycode but offered no assistance beyond.  Spoke with Best Buy and they did NOT create “my account” for customers on their own and have no idea how this happened.  Any and all suggestions welcome and much appreciated on how to remedy this matter.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Hello @tswim Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum.

It looks like you have tried all the avenues to correct this problem. Let me ping @TylerM our Community Manager and see if he can find out what’s happening and correct this problem.

Userlevel 2

Thanks -- I already bought a new license with new key code -- appreciate the response. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I suspect someone has already used the code to register. Either best buy used an already activated code or it was a display model and someone simple looked at the code and used it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I suspect someone has already used the code to register. Either best buy used an already activated code or it was a display model and someone simple looked at the code and used it.

That is what I would suspect as well. Obviously someone else has the code. But it seems BestBuy should be responsible since they installed it. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks for all the responses and the insightful remarks that aided me in understanding how this could have happened.  It was in fact in use by someone else and Best Buy was very helpful in resolving.  I did buy a new license (key code), activated it and set up my account.  That being said, while I like the product, I’m still disappointed in the WR support and hope I do not need them again.  The rep I dealt with offered no assistance, suggestions or guidance other than “it is registered to someone else and you need to tell me the email address for who that is”, like I would even know.  As the song says, “but that was yesterday’s gone”.  I will give them the benefit of the doubt and work with them with hopes for a better encounter. 

Again, Thanks to all !!  Very much appreciated.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

May have just been an off day, because I usually find the support to be rather good.

But you can always post here and there are a number of people who will try and help you as well, or help get you help. 

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Duplicated/dodgy code?

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

@tswim I’m sending this over to our support leadership to investigate and will get back to you once I hear back