Solved

New Surface Pro 4

• 27 December 2015
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I just repalced my old HP laptop with the Surface Pro 4.  I bought the Internet Security Complete and I really like it.
I downloaded the Web Secure browser on my LG G4 and like it.

Is there a Webroot browser for Windows 10. If not is there anything I need to do to when I use IE on my Surface?

also is there an easy way to migrate my Chrome bookmarks to the mobile Webroot browser?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Steve
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 27 December 2015, 17:12

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi strick71

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I am afraid that for PC and/or Mac devices WSA does not provide an alternative browser. In those cases you just need to use your existing browsers and WSA will offer to install/enable (i) the Web Filtering Extension & (ii) the Password Manager toolbar extension. As and when yo get the message you should just allow the installations.

Please not however that for Windows 10 users the Edge browser does not yet support extensions/add ons and so if you use that browser then you will not get the web site Reputation information provided with the Google or Bing search results, and you will not be able to use the Password Manager for automatic login.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Thank you

which borwer do you suggest I install and use on the Surface?
Userlevel 7
Hi strick71

I have to say that this would be very much up to you and dependent on your particular preferences. Having said that I suspect that Community members seem to be roughly equally divided between Chrome & Firefox (which are supported by Webroot re. the add ons).

I would say Chrome but you could install both, take each for a trial run and then use the one that yo prefer. Assuming that you do not have any space issues then there is no harm in having both installed keeping one as a 'reserve' so to speak.

I quite like Edge but as it is not Webroot extension capable I cannnot recommed that just yet...;)

Regards, Baldrick
thank you again for the answer.

one more follow up question.

If I use chrome what externsions should I use. I saw a few in the store?

also,

If I use Mircosoft Edge with out the extenstion am I still protected from the antiviruse?

I quess I don't really understand the complete difference. my understanding is that the externsions "pre screeen" the sites while if I use Edge and I accidently click on a "bad" site then Webroot will attack the virus or trogan once it hits my machine

Is that the basic idea?

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Hi Strick71

OK, if using Chrome then there should be no need to go to the store to get the extensions...on first use of Chrome you should be prompted to all the install and enabling of the relevant Webroot extensions. Just answer 'yes' and that should be it. If you do not get those messages/options then post back and we can look at a workaround.

In relation to Edge; the Web Filtering extension itself does not protect your system but rather it just identifies the 'reputation' of the webiste you are visiting or of the links that have been returned by your Google or Bing search and displays those result by way of a check mark or cross, etc., to the left of each search result...so that yo can avoid linking to the site.

Without this you & running Edge can certainly end up on a a dubious site but the majority of the protection features that keep you safe are built into WSA and not the extensions so you are still well protected without the extension.

What you will have to do if running Edge is add it to the applicaiton proected by the Identity Shield as, unlike the other main browsers, it is not automatically detected and added to the list by WSA itself. If you need help doing that just shout and we can provide guidance on that.

Regards, Baldrick

Thank you.

Can you walk me through the Edge set up.  I think I would like to use that browser becasue it is associated with Windows 10

Userlevel 7
OK, it is relatively simple:

1. Click on the gear/cog symbol to the right of the Identitiy Protection tab in the main app panel.

2. Now click on the 'Application Protection' tab.

3. In the newly opened tab clcikk on the 'Add Application' button in the bottom right hand corner.

4. In the dialog that opens navigate to the folder the path of which is:

C:WindowsSystemAppsMicrosoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

5. Once in that folder find and select the following file:

MicrosoftEdge

and then click 'Open'. That should return yo to the Protected Applications tab with the file listed in the list of Protected
     Application, with a status of 'Protect'.

6.  Repeat 4. & 5. above for the following further file:

MicrosoftEdgeCP

And that should do it.

Just reboot and you should be set to go.

Regards, Baldrick
Thank you again for all your help.

I might have more questions later. (lol)  I want to be able to get the most out of using Werboot.
Userlevel 7
Hi Strick71

No worries...and if I am not about then I am sure that one of the other members will pick up and chip in...we love teamwork here and do our best to make sure that it happens for the benefit of our fellow Community members.

Regards, Baldrick