New To This Site

• 26 October 2012
  • 33 replies

Show first post

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Welcome to the Community RWM!

Windows 8 actually launches today, which is super exciting!  I've been playing around with an evaluation copy at work for a while now, but I'm psyched about getting it onto at least one of my boxes at home.

Since it sounds like you'll need to get a new OS anyway, you'll probably be pleased to know that this version of Windows won't cost you an arm and a leg.  I know I am!  Just $40 - not bad!
Userlevel 6
Yes, hindsight is always 20-20.  I was a neophyte five years ago!  In those days, I assumed everything was "activated" when I bought the machine!

Like I said, there are going to be lots of folks that are in for a surprise!  It's a rude awakening to learn that your software is counterfeit, regardless of the fact that it works well.  I paid for authentic Microsoft software which I thought was included in the cost of the construction of my machine.  Caveat emptor!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's why the software goes through the Activation procedure and it is up to the user to know if it is genuine or not. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/genuine

TH

Userlevel 6
Funny thing is, I never knew it was counterfeit.  It came installed on the machine I had built for me about five years ago and has worked fine.  The first I knew it was counterfeit was a couple weeks ago when I did a scan and opened it up.  Much to my surprise, this issue presented itself for the first time.  I'm sure a lot of folks will soon awaken to the same surprise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
RWM wrote: Also, if you have a "counterfeit" XP disk, Microsoft has now injected a warning notice that pops up on your screen that advises that "you might be a victim of software counterfeiting."  This happened about two weeks ago.  It even has you clicking on a tab to "resolve" the problem (by buying Windows 8 no less) or save it for later, before you can proceed.  Cripes, you can't get away with anything these days! :8
Hi RWM,

We don't talk about Pirated Software here as it's illegal to use such products and is condoned by the Vendors and the Security Community.

TH

Userlevel 6
Thanks for the welcome.  I will experiment with the removal of NIS to see if it makes a difference.  I'm still educating myself about the differences between the two.  I think it's a good way to learn more about both.

Two other internet security packages that I recently found to be quite helpful are:  East-Tec Eraser 2012 (which cleans and securitizes your files) and Adfender (which prevents pop-ups).

My next venture is to eliminate Windows XP Professional and move to Windows 7.  I have been a fan of XP for years but, sadly, Microsoft will soon stop supporting it.  Also, if you have a "counterfeit" XP disk, Microsoft has now injected a warning notice that pops up on your screen that advises that "you might be a victim of software counterfeiting."  This happened about two weeks ago.  It even has you clicking on a tab to "resolve" the problem (by buying Windows 8 no less) or save it for later, before you can proceed.  Cripes, you can't get away with anything these days! :8
Userlevel 7
Hello RWM and welcome to the Webroot community!

You are pleased how NIS and WSA coexist together but you will be surprised how your PC will be thriving only with WSA. I was having NIS and WSA (formerly Prevx) together for ages. However NIS2013 is a big leap back as far as performance is concerned. You can check NIS forum and you will see what I am talking about. Therefore I gave farewell to NIS and kept WSA what makes me fully happy :D

Nevertheless if you don't have problems with the both, you are on a happier side and enjoy them both ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello RWM and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums! ;)

I have been Beta Testing WSA for short since early 2011 and have not been disappointed in the product at anytime so I can agree with your assessment! Just in case you want to read about all the functions here is the link to Online Help File

Cheers,

TH