Solved

New user

• 12 January 2014
  • 9 replies

Does it make any difference if I run the scan first and then the optimizer or vice versa
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 12 January 2014, 16:57

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello EKnob245 and welcome to the Webroot Community!

By default, WSA is going to want to run a scan at the end of the install, automatically.  In fact your device will not show up on the online Console until you do run that first scan.

That being said, obviously the Optimizer is going to be removing a lot of files right?  That first scan MIGHT run a bit quicker if you run Optimizer first, but it really doesn't matter much.  Even that first 'long scan' usually only takes a few minutes to complete even before you have run the Optimizer.

Also, the Optimizer removes files from areas that will not be scanned.  The scan does not check each and every file on the computer, only the areas where malware usually resides.  That is NOT a problem, WSA will not miss anything: if there is anything on the computer outside of the normal areas that it scans, it WILL detect the malware upon any access attempt and block it's dirty deeds at that time.  There simply is no need to scan the entire drive including areas that never have malware, though many of those areas will have garbage removed by the Optimizer.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Anytime 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi EKnob245

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D..looking forward to seeing you around in the future, especially as the Community is for so much more than just issues help.

Have a great end of weekend.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hello EKnob245, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃
Userlevel 3
welcome!
Userlevel 7
If I am working on a PC that hasnt had a cleanup in a long time I will also run the optimizer or manually flush all the temps before running a scan. 
Thanks
Userlevel 6
A belated welcome to the forum EKnob245. You're surrounded by good people in the Webroot Community!