Solved

newbie questions

Userlevel 1
I had a really bad virus and malware attack last week.  Webroot ran numerous scans, but I still could not access my hotmail account through my ie.  Finally had to call Microsoft and pay $100 to have my laptop disinfected.  Would there have been a better way?  Microsoft found 1280 PUPs even after Webroot had pronounced my computer free of threats.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 8 March 2014, 19:15

View original

66 replies

Userlevel 1
There is a large piece on the Microsoft website regarding these calls.  A friend of mine received such a call last week saying they were from Microsoft and had evidence her computer was being hacked.  They left a phone number for her to call back.  I suggested she contact Microsoft online or by phone and confirm this was actually a person from Microsoft.  It was a scam.  While I was having my computer fixed, the guy from Microsoft said the company would never contact someone by phone unless that person had requested a call.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Gail,

We just ask that if your have any issues with your Webroot Product or Infections it's best to contact the Support Inbox as they would do it for you free of charge.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
The AV software Microsoft is running is called Megabytes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Gail please read this then tell me what you think if your right or I'm right it's a scam: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Avoid-tech-support-phone-scams-claimed-to-be-from-Microsoft/m-p/1430#M33

Daniel
Userlevel 1
Yes, Daniel, I think definitely a scam.  I do think, however, you can go into the Microsoft website and get assistance.
Userlevel 1
Thanks.  I understand that now.  I did not know about it at the time of the attack.
Userlevel 7
Hi Gail

Yes, of that there is no doubt...in terms of scams it is the unsolicited first contacts, i.e., the scammer calls the target, that are without doubt the ones to avoid like the plague...especially if you ask yourself the following question "How in the hell do they know that my system is compromised?"...that should say it all.

But, yes, Microsoft do provide technical support...but not re. malware removal, at least not yet as far as I know or can see from their UK Technical Support website.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes they do but they world charge more than $100 dollars http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2671662 also see here: https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/default.aspx and here: https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/default.aspx?productkey=pcsafetymalware&faq=1&mytask=diagnostics but in this case you already have Webroot SecureAnywhere and they would of helped you free of charge with an active subscription to WSA. I just hate to see people spend there money to a scammer or even a computer shop as Webroot would do it for free.

So I hope you see where I'm coming from and understand?

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
Try typing in support.microsoft.com - tell me what you think.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Gailfitz...My opinion is most users do not realize the extent of WebrootSecureAnywheres support. For new users who just want protection right away and so to to speak go into panic mode searching for help. So we've all been there in a spot where we've made a mis judgement per say. The one reason I went to the community and joined was because of WebrootSecureAnywhere emails explaining the Community and that I had a 3 month anniversary with Webroot. Live and learn and we all know we have paid a lot of money for Security Support. At least we know here that Webroot is our last stop for securing our Computers, at least that's what I think....
Userlevel 7
Hi Gail

Indeed but that is hardly support...did you notice the following at the very foot off that page; under Technical Assistance...where it says:

"Contact your antivirus vendor for assistance with identifying or removing virus or worm infections. If you need more help with virus-related issues, contact Microsoft Support."

So what MS are effectively saying is that your first port of call should be your security app vendor, etc.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 1
I do know where you are coming from, but at the time I had the problem, I did not even know you were here. Webroot was just an icon on my desktop.  I had never had a problem with viruses or malware so I was unaware of this whole world of webroot discussion groups!
Userlevel 7
Hi Gail

I can really sympathise with that view...but the main thing is that yo now know better, and should the nasties strike again then you now know where to come ASAP...HERE! :D

As S Sherjj, we live and learn (hopefully every day).

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Try typing in support.microsoft.com - tell me what you think.
Yes that is legit Microsoft Support link! And now that you know if you have any issues you can come here and save your money!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Kudos to that gailfitzpatrick, neither did I. Until you really open the program and check it out.
Userlevel 1
Glad it was helpful to you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Here is more info in the main GUI of WSA!

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Th could you be more graphic? Or have a icon for read the manual? Or highlight certain parts of graphics...smiley smiley
Userlevel 1
Okay, funny guy. Admittedly, it helps to be able to read - but if you had any comprehension of how little attention I paid to Webroot until last week, you would be amazed that I could even find the icon on my desktop!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
All is fine now you know! 😃 ❤️

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hey TH: I tapped on the red arrows and I got nothing...smiley smiley
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I would be worried if you did!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
TripleHelix ...I need to go to school just to learn your video graphics...funny funny...
Userlevel 1
I love those graphic, too!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
http://friends-of-peggy.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/hug.gif