Solved

Newbie with a question

Is there an option that I just haven't found that can be set for Webroot to shut down the computer after a deep scan?

Do I need to enable the Windows Firewall? My router has a firewall that runs my computer in stealth mode.

icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 9 June 2014, 18:34

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello ohheckyeah, welcome to the Webroot Community!

There is currently no option to automatically shut down the computer following a scan.  As quickly as Webroot scans, generally in under 2 minutes, there probably is no major need for this as opposed to the old style AV's that can take 1-2 hours to run a scan.

Just start the scan, sit back for a minute, you won't have to wait long for the scan to finish and you can manually shut down the computer 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Is there an option that I just haven't found that can be set for Webroot to shut down the computer after a deep scan?

Do I need to enable the Windows Firewall? My router has a firewall that runs my computer in stealth mode.

Hello ohheckyeah and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

And to add yes you must have Windows Firewall on with WSA have a look here as to why: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4a_ManagingFirewall.htm and it's a nice second layer to the Router's Firewall.

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Thanks.

Sometimes I run the deep scan, which is why I asked.

I appreciate the reply and the welcome.

I have to admit, the unique way this works is a little scary when I'm used to all of the other programs I've tried. But, I don't like how they decide for me what I want to do and run things like a PC tuneup that screws up my computer, like Norton did.
Userlevel 7
Anytime!

My own computer, as noted below, is an old laptop bought in 2008.  It is lacking in CPU and RAM, overloaded with stuff, so my WSA scans are a LOT longer than average.

A scan usually takes around.... 2 minutes 30 seconds.

:D

I have a fairly new computer with 8 GBs of RAM and McAfee changed something and I was cancelling scans that had run for 16 HOURS. BitDefender did the same thing. I don't know what that was all about. It's really nice to have scans that run quickly.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I have a fairly new computer with 8 GBs of RAM and McAfee changed something and I was cancelling scans that had run for 16 HOURS. BitDefender did the same thing. I don't know what that was all about. It's really nice to have scans that run quickly.
Welcome @  to the community!  Scans that run quickly is what we do. ;)

I used to think that an AV product that did not spend at least 5-10 minutes scanning my system was not doing a good job.When I bought this PC back in February, it came with a 60 (or maybe 90) day trial of McAfee and a 1-year subscription to Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security.

Needless to say, on the last day of the McAfee subscription, I uninstalled McAfee. :D
Userlevel 7
Hi ohheckyeah

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I sense a question in your post and whilst it is not directly realted to that question you may want to have a read of this previous thread about WSA Deep & Full scans, because in it one of our gurus (retired) explains how WSA scans which explains why it turns in the performance that you have noticed when compared to more traditional AV/IS apps.

It is not long and does provide some excellent base information if yo are interested.

Regards

Baldrick
Thank you - I will read it and I appreciate all of the information here.

I guess this whole new way of things will make me a little nervous for awhile.

I'm very careful with my computer as it is my avenue for work. I'm probably obsessive about keeping it clean. I run CCleaner every day, a Malwarebytes scan twice a week, and a SuperAntiSpyware scan twice a week in addition to my regular virus scans, which are done daily.

I take care of my parent's computer, and all my friends call me for help when they screw theirs up - usually with malware and/or a virus, so I'm looking for a good product, not just for myself, but for at least 5 people.
I've used McAfee for years - I don't know happened to it lately, but it has been horrid. I just couldn't take it any more.

I've seen your user name somewhere else - just can't remember where. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Maybe Wilders Security Forums?

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hi ohheckyeah

You are most welcome.  You have probably come across my username over at Wilders as I used to hang out there a lot until I discovered this Community.

In terms of being obsessive...well, if I am honest I would have to say...Yes, you would appear to be based on what you actually do re. your computer security...but then again more is certainly better than not enough.

Hopefully, as you come to understand and trust WSA you will feel comfortable (as we have all become) in trusting it to do the business of keeping your computer safe (but having said that I do have a 2nd line of defense based around MBAM, in on demand scanner mode).

Hope that you hang about...and remember, don't hesitate to ask questions if you feel you need to.  There should usually be a Community member around who can answer them.

Regards

Baldrick
Sorry - I was responding to jpasternak.

I do have a question from a friend (who buys whatever virus program I'm using.)

The definition files for Webroot are in the cloud, correct?

If that is the case, does that expose my personal files to the cloud?
Userlevel 7
We dont have definitions but yes information about potential threats are stored in the cloud. And no none of your personal fiels EVER LEAVE YOUR PC. The only information that gets sent to the cloud is a file hash (*not the files themselves) of the potential threats. This information is also encrypted too. Webroot values our customers privacy!
Thank you very much for the explanation.
Userlevel 7
No problem, ohheckyeah

Just ignore the 1st paragraph as not relevant...but I stand by the rest...;)

See you around.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Oh Dear I missed your Welcome to the WSA Community...ohheckyeah...great to have you here! :)

Where as no question is a silly question...:)
Thanks so much for the kind welcome. It's great to have nice people to talk with and to ask questions.

Userlevel 6
Hi, ohheckyeah!

I'm in the same boat with you, a total newbie and I have found that the folks here are not only knowledgable but also patient and friendly.

I hope you have fun in here and welcome to the newbie pool!
Userlevel 7
Hello ohheckyeah. Welcome to the Community.:)
I think one of the reasons I'm obsessive is because my family and friends bring all of their trashed computers to me to fix. I spent 8 hours one day on a laptop that a virus program had taken over. I finally found a program that I could download to a flash drive and booted to it and cleaned the computer. The computer had over 800 issues that need to be taken care of. I use my computer to make a living and I can't afford days of it being down because of garbage on it.

Or, it could be I'm just obsessive.:S
Thank you and same to you. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi ohheckyeah

Nothing wrong with being obsessive...it is really a matter of degree of obsession...IMHO.  And given what you say about the circumstances I do not think that you are that obsessive...having said that I would say that now you have found WSA you should be able to chill/relax a little...as most of us have done since...but it is still worth keeping ones guard up.

Wishing you ease of being.

Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Okay, I probably shouldn't admit this, but having left my Norton product behind and purchasing WSA, I have scanned my computer 41 times in 3 days to make sure that nothing of the computer cootie variety gets into my laptop...

Does that make me obsessive? :$

Nevermind, I just read what I wrote and answered my own question... 😃
LOL Since we are confessing, I ran Windows Defender last night. I've NEVER used Windows Defender before.

It's NOT paranoia if someone IS out to get you (or your computer.)