Solved

prevent applications from gaining internet access

• 26 April 2013
  • 7 replies

My computer get invaded with applications that like to 'report back to its home server. I delete them,but they keep coming back. Some of the applications aer useful. I need to stop these applications from gaining access to the Internet...how is this done?
icon

Best answer by ams963 26 April 2013, 06:23

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello cipher and welcome to the Webroot Community. :)

Hope that answers your question.
I am running version 8.0.2.127 and my GUI does not look like yours. On the PC Tools, there is Scan my Computer, yours has 'Firewall is ON'. In the Identity & Privacy there is Identity shield is ON and there is no link 'View Network Applications'...any ideas?
Sorry...I'm an idiot today...found it, thanks.
Actually, I dont want to BLOCK the application, I just done want it to stop it gaining Internet access
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Actually, I dont want to BLOCK the application, I just done want it to stop it gaining Internet access
That will block a process from gaining internet access. It will not block the process from running in the system. Just cut off its internet access. Just like you want it.:)
I have a similar desire however my webroot secure anywhere looks very different and when I went into the Pc Security options it only gave me the option to completely block and application. Not internet access deniability could be found. When I added the program to the Block/Allow under block status in the firewall settings and tried to open it the program and it was blocked and I got alerts from Webroot

Version 9.0.8.100
Userlevel 7
Hi justdace

Welcome to the Community Forums.

It sounds from wha you are saying that you are running Windows 8 or above and if so then from that version of the OS the way that WSA communicates with the Windows Firewall is somewhat more restricted.

If you have indvertently blocked internet access by your response to the first connection prompt then the only option you have to reset it is to carry out an uninstall & clean reintsall of WSA. To do that please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for the install to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot
Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Regards, Baldrick