Solved

Quarantined files

• 16 May 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
When files are quarantined, say by Webroot, where are they stored, and if I change security systems what happens to those quarantined files when I had deleted Webroot. Not that I have plans to but I often wonder about this and would like to hear some thoughts on this.
icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 16 May 2019, 17:01

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
When Webroot quarantines a file, it encrypts it so that the file is rendered useless. This prevents that file from doing any further harm to your system.

If you uninstall Webroot from a system, it will purge the quarantine contents and that previously-quarantined file can no longer be restored on the machine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I subscribed to this thread just because it was a great line of questions from @Tylersmiler and @jllp128! Followed as usual by the great input of @Ssherjj and @LLiddell!

Awesome Thoughts!
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Thanks for the info on quarantined files. I had wondered about that for some time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @Tylersmiler ,

Please have a look at the PC User Guide and this should answer most of your questions.

That is a great question to ask what happens to the quarantined files if you remove/uninstall Webroot. I imagine that the files get deleted as well. But let me ask our Administrator @LLiddell if she can assist with this question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
When Webroot quarantines a file, it encrypts it so that the file is rendered useless. This prevents that file from doing any further harm to your system.

If you uninstall Webroot from a system, it will purge the quarantine contents and that previously-quarantined file can no longer be restored on the machine.

Thank you Lara!! 😊
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
is there any way to 'force-purge' Webroot quarantined files without uninstalling Webroot products. The reason for asking is because if malware files are being encrypted in order to render them harmless but leaving them on the computers HDD then eventually there is the potential for them to occupy valuable storage space. This is particularly relevant with so many laptops being sod with small SSD's. (
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
If you reference the guide linked here you can see how to manage items that are quarantined.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Youre most welcome @Tylersmiler! We're happy to help! 😊
Userlevel 4
Badge +13