Question about anti virus software

• 30 November 2013
  • 11 replies

HI, i've had my Toshiba for over two years and have Webroot installed.  Never a problem until my stepdaugther used my computer one night (and never again since then)--she installed some software on it, and it completely messed up my computer.   I managed to save it by using Webroot and it seems to be working okay now.  I am getting a lot more popups though which are very annoying.  I did see that Webroot is not good for picking up viruses from email, more for web site issues.  Is there another antivirus that is good for email (i think she opened an email on here and that may have contained something that is causing these popups).  I saw Norton at Sams Club yesterday and think that may be a good one for email viruses.  Thanks so much for any help!

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Actually, Webroot is very good at detecting viruses delivered by email. Remember though that Webroot does it differently. Instead of slowing down your computer scanning ALL incoming email and EVERLY little bit attached, Webroot only scans when you access the attachment. If the attachment is infected, Webroot will catch it upon attempt at opening it and so it does protect you.

I wonder if the issue with the computer is not actaul virus/malware infection but rather what is referred to as PUA's. PUA's are the 'additional', 'sponsored' software provided 'free' or as a 'trial' that often get installed when you are installing some else that you actually do want. For example: you receive a notice of an updated version of Adobe Reader or Flash and so you dutifully download and instalt. Are you very carefull to read every screen and always use Advanced options when available? If not, you have PUA's installed.

A lot of these 'free trial' crapware PUA's are browser extensions that while not actually malware/virus, do tend to make the browser a bit tempermental as they interfere with browser settings.

Webroot has historically focused on malware, and as PUA's are generally not true malware they have not been detected. This is changing.

Some of the PUA's are actaullt Av software, legit ones, themselves. I re-installed Adobe Reader this last week and it attempted to allow McAfee AV trial to piggy back in with it. On some computers, this could cause a problem in my own opinion.

Your pop ups may be caused by adware, not malware. Again, if the application driving the pop ups is not actually attempting to steal data, personal information or other actual destructive behavior, Webroot is possibly not going to detect it as it is essentially a PUA.

I am not as good with what methods to take to remove adware type things, and being on a mobile device I do not have some resources available that I do on my home computer. @ if he is around today may be able to refer you to a method to help get the non-malware junk off. 🙂
Thank you so much!  If anyone knows how to get rid of the adware I would greatly appreciate it!  I thought maybe i was losing my mind.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello I sent you a PM.

Daniel
Userlevel 2
First of all you should not just let anyone use your pc. If the do then make them a seperate account under a standard user. No antivirus is 100% effective. Nothing in the world is. Every single antivirus will let something past. But it seems more like adware then anything like a toolbar. Best defense is to always have a system image backup to fall on. Anything happens then mount the stored image and your backup and running like nothing ever happened. Norton is very well known but in actuallity there detection rate is poor. People always wanna blame there antivirus when something happens but never wanna blame themselves. Safe surfing habits are a key factor. 
Userlevel 7
Doing a system restore will very possibly help, but I am the type that uses that as a last resort.  If a removal method can be found that will avoid that I think it best.  Sometimes it seems that relying too much on the restore can eventually lead to additional problems, but it certainly is there for a reason and is often very effective.
I couldn't say no because its my husband's daughter.  I thought she needed it for school, but then the next day saw she had added a program to it and asked her.  Of course she said there was nothing wrong with it, but i have since found out she is far from truthful in many things.   But that's a whole other story.  I do now have my computer password locked and she also has her own computer again, which is really good.  My problem is i lived by myself for four years and never had an issue like this before.  
Userlevel 7
One thing you can do is go to Control Panel, and choose Manage Users or User Accounts.  Create or turn on the Guest Account, without password access.  I believe the Guest Account will allow the computer to be used, surf the web, the kinds of things that are normally needed for a school project or general use, but it will not allow software to be installed or major settings to be changed.

🙂
Thank you so much! For now I'm just leaving the computer as password protected. I just don't want her anywhere near my computer
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thank you so much! For now I'm just leaving the computer as password protected. I just don't want her anywhere near my computer
Believe me, I know the feeling.  (I do NOT use the Guest Account on mine.. .I just keep it locked down  :)  )
Userlevel 2
Your login is password protected. Every pc should be. Making a seperate guest account which has limited rights is perfectly fine. Any changes that are made are only made in that account. Delete acount and its gone. My son has his own login on my laptop. He is a standard account. No one under the age of 18 should have Admin rights. 
Userlevel 7
In some cases no user other than the owner should really